Daltons in the New York Times 1856 - 1920

Researched, complied & edited by Rodney G. Dalton from the NY TImes and various sources on the World Wide Web.

(search this page, highlight and jump to the results)




January 25, 1856 - New York Times

Trial of Messrs. Coburn and Dalton-Three Card Monte-The $50,000 Express Robbery.

In the Municipal Court today, Judge Nash presiding, Edward O. Coburn and Benjamin J. Dalton were put on trial for manslaughter, in causing the death of William Sumner.

Twenty-two witnesses were sworn for the prosecution, but the testimony has developed no new facts additional to what was shown at the preliminary examination before the Police Court.

October 19, 1882 - New York Times


The Rev. William J. Dalton Says It Is a Great Mistake and Will Make Deserters.

Washington, May 10.

"No one can force total abstinence. That is only a theory. We can restrict the liquor trade, which the canteen did, but we cannot wipe it out. I am a Knight of the Father Mathew, a total abstainer and would see every one in the world belong, but I know it is impossible and I do not join those crusaders. All the good the women want to do they undid, and all the good that was being done without them they have utterly ruined."

That is the contention of the Rev. William J. Dalton in a communication received at the War Department protesting against the abolition as a feature of the post exchanges in the army. The Rev, Mr. Dalton has had much experience at army posts, and his comments are applied to the conditions observed at Detroit. "Anything more mistaken than the canteen law I never witnessed in my life," said the Rev. Mr. Dalton. "it could only have been forced, as it was, by a lot of women who insist on having the last word and a lot of men who are not so strong minded. I think I never saw anything that so quickly drove sober men into drunkards as the operation of this same anti-canteen law. While at Detroit I had an opportunity to see soldiers from the neighboring forts, and I never saw them drunk."

"During the many times I have visited cities contiguous to army post, including Kansas City, St. Louis, Chicago and Detroit, I have watched the soldiery. I did that because I like to study the men a nation depends upon for its very life. Always I found well-behaved, sober men. Imagine to my horror last week, however, to see the same men reeling drunk and next to fighting mad. it was all the canteen law. "Now instead of getting beer or, wine in camp, under the observation of an officer or sentry, with some restraint upon his thirst, the soldier goes to the vile dens, to be urged to drink until he has spent his last cent and is drunk, overstays hi time, and is punished. It makes deserters. What could these women have been thinking of.? Oh, so impracticable as these mannish women and womanish men are! In all my priesthood, when I have had a drinking man in my parish I have worked with him to get him to move to a house remote from a saloon, even to the extreme of getting him to go to another parish. Army officers are about unanimous in the opinion that the anti-canteen law is working beneficially for the liquor dealers.

October 19, 1882 - New York Times


CHICAGO, March 18.

Mrs. William Dalton, wife of a rag picker, was burned to death with her 4-year-old daughter in a tenement house fire at 1628 South Clark-street this morning. About a dozen other persons, half of them negroes, made their escape from the building in a seminude condition. A dissolute tailor who was ejected from the premises for non-payment of rent is suspected of having set the place on fire.

October 19, 1882, Wednesday - New York Times



William E. Dalton, of Newburg, master of the lighter W. G. Lapham, belong to the New York lighterage and Transportation Company, of No. 70 Wall-street, was shot in the right thigh early yesterday morning, and severely but not dangerously wounded, by one of a number of dock thieves who had plundered the vessel. The Lapham was moored on Tuesday night on the south side of Pier No. 36 North River, which is that of the Inman Line of streamers, between the lighters Enterprise, of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, and the E. A. Meneely, of the New York Lighterage and Transportation Company. The Enterprise was close to the pier, and Olif Antman kept watch on her. On the Meneely, which lay south of the Lapham, Albert Carlson watched. On the Lapham were Dalton and Matthew Wilson, a lad of 15. On the Lapham were 150 tons of pig iron, the property of E. S. Wheeler & Co. The night was foggy and about 9 o'clock Dalton was surprised by the visit of a villainous looking fellow who rowed up to the Lapham, jumped on the deck, and asked Dalton if he would sell him some of the iron. Dalton ordered the man away, and kept a bright lookout until past mid-night, when he went down into the cabin in the stern of the lighter and calling the boy Wilson told him to arrange a fire in the stove. While in the cabin, Dalton heard footsteps on the deck and went up the companion way. As he put his head out of the hatchway, which closed with a sliding door run horizontally, he encountered a brawny man, whose face was muffed up. This man put the muzzle of a revolver to Dalton's head, and ordered him to go down into the cabin at once under pain of being shot.

Dalton was unarmed, and he complied with the dock thief's order. Then the thieves-three in number-loaded a row boat with the pig iron. They were seen by and spoke to Antman and Carlson, who did not interfere with them. Antman said yesterday that it was none of his business, and that he did not wish to run the risk of getting hurt or killed. Carlson contented himself with saying to the marauders,

"You better stop this," and refrained from further interference, when one of the thieves replied, "Mind your own business, we're not bothering you." Dalton had been imprisoned in the cabin 10 minutes when he ordered Wilson to go up the companion way and reconnoiter. He found the hatchway slide closed, but jerked it open to find himself by the hair. A rough voice bade him get back whence he came, and he retreated to the cabin/ Ten minutes later Dalton and he ventured on deck and found that the thief's had left the stern of the Lapham with a load of iron. Carlson informed them that men in another boat were plundering on the port side of the bow. Borrowing Carlson's revolver, which had only three cartridges in it, Dalton ran to the bow of the Lapham, where one of the thief's stood, and Dalton tried to shoot him. The pistol snapped, and while Dalton was cocking it the thief jumped into the oat and said, "Let him have it." Two shots were fired from the boat as it was rowed off round the bow of the Meneely, and one took effect in Daltons thigh and he fell. Three more shots were afterward fired by the thieves as they pulled out into the North River, but they were to intimidate and deter pursuit.

The thieves took away in the two boats five tons of Pig-iron worth $120 to $130. Dalton, after trying to ligature around his leg above the wound, walked to the office of the Inman Line and waited until an ambulance came and took him to St. Vincent's Hospital. He says he can identify several of the thieves, who numbered at least six. The Police have all possible information in regard to them. The fellows visited another lighter at the same pier during the night and attempted to steal boxes of tin, but were driven off by a watchman.

March 9, 1884 - New York Times


Chicago, March 8.

Toward midnight last night Capt. James Dalton, the pugilist, who booked for a sparring match at Hershey Hall tomorrow night, was standing before the bar of the Park Theatre with a number of boon companions. While no one was looking Dalton's wife entered the bar and fired a bullet at her husband. As she fired Dalton happened to turn around and the bullet merely grazed his side, producing only a flesh wound. The wife ran from the room, but was arrested in a building near by and locked up on a charge of attempted murder. Mrs. Dalton is a large fleshy woman, with red hair, and before her marriage went by the name of Kerwin. Dalton' wound is slight, and he expects to be able to spar Monday Night.

March 19, 1886 - New York Times


Edward Welsh, James Tuomey and Thomas Dalton, the ticket speculators who were arrested for peddling tickets in front of Harringan's Theatre on Wednesday night, were arraigned before Justice Power, at the Jefferson Market Police Court, Yesterday morning. Dalton acted as spokesman for the three. He said that the proprietor of the theatre kept a ticket speculator n the lobby who sold tickets furnished by the management, and he claimed that he and his companions had as much right to sell the tickets in the street as the house speculator had in the lobby. The magistrate thought so too, and discharged the men.

January 30, 1887 - New York Times


The employees of the Water Department yesterday afternoon presented to ex-Commissioner of Water Supplies William Dalton a diamond scarf pin and a pair of gold cuff buttons set with diamonds worth $1,000. The presentation took place at the Tammany clubrooms of the Eleventh Assembly District. Eight Avenue and Thirty-third Street. The presentation speech was made by Chief Clerk John M. Quinn, who spoke warmly of the kindly manner in which the ex-Commissioner had treated the men under him. A short reply thanking the clerks for the gift was made by Mr. Dalton.

July 30, 1887 - New York Times


BINGHAMTON, N. Y,. July 29.

John McTighe and James Dalton, two well known residents of this city, drove into a creek about nine miles from this city tonight. The bed of the creek is about 15 feet sustained serious injuries. The bridge spanning the stream had recently been washed away, and both men were ignorant of the fact.

October 19, 1887 - New York Times


While Theodore Shuler, Charles O'Neill and James Dalton were at work on a sand bank on Pier-street, Yonkers, yesterday, the bank suddenly caved in, and Shuler was buried and killed. He was a German, and leaves a widow and four children, living on Riverdale- avenue. O'Neill escaped with some serious injuries and was sent to St. John's Riverside Hospital. Dalton, who was the contractor doing the work, was injured on the right hip and shoulder.

March 19, 1888 - New York Times


Assemblyman William Dalton keeps a shop for the sale of butcher's implements at no. 497 Eleventh-avenue. Michael McCool went into the shop intoxicated Friday, and while there flourished a revolver with such recklessness that Mr. Dalton put him out into the street. A short time after McCool returned, and, presented the revolver at the head of the Assemblyman, snapped it five times. Fortunately the revolver failed to go off. McCool was arrested and Justice Ford held him in $1,000 bail for his good behavior in future. He was locked up in default of bail. He is 26 years old and lives at no. 516 West Thirty-sixty-street.

February 1, 1892 - New York Times



A dispatch was received at Jersey City yesterday from Detective William Dalton announcing that the embezzler, William Hyer, escaped from the sleeping car at Pittsburg, Penn., at 3 o'clock yesterday morning. Hyer was being returned from San Francisco upon a requisition, after a protracted legal fight, and should have arrived at Jersey City last night.

Hyer was employed as a collector by William Harney, a wealthy Jersey City real estate agent, and fled with about $7,00. One day last October it became known that he had been clandestinely married to Mamie Marsh, daughter of ex-Alderman Harvey Marsh, who for many years has been Superintendent of the Adams Express Company's big stables in Jersey City. The couple went off on their bridal trip, and Harney soon learned that the journey was being taken at his expense. The couple were finally located at San Francisco, where Hyer was arrested. Gov. Abbett issued requisition papers, and Detective Dalton was sent to bring the fugitive back.

Hyer and his energetic young wife made a lively fight. Lawyer Carroll Cook of San Francisco was retained and secured no fewer than seven successive writs from the California courts. Harney's missing money was of course, used to pay the incidental expenses. Dalton was much chagrined as he met the legal obstacles thrown in his path by the prisoner's lawyer, and newspaper dispatches stated that the detective took to drink and had to be confined in the inebriate asylum to save him from the delirium tremens.

At length his path was cleared, and on Saturday, a week ago, the officer started for Jersey City with his man. Mrs. Hyer is said to have been on the train, and probably aided her husband to escape. The action of the police authorities in failing to send an officer to accompany Dalton, at least on the part of the return journey, is unfavorably criticized. Dalton alleged weakness for liquor makes the criticism all the stronger.

February 2, 1892 - New York Times


Trenton, N. J., Feb. 2 - The Governor this evening called Mr. Feaney, the Chief of his State Police, to his side and talked about Detective Dalton, who allowed Embezzler Hyer to escape from his custody at Pittsburg while in transit from San Francisco to Jersey City Saterday night. He told Feaney that as he had a requisition of the Governor for his warrant, while making the trip, Dalton was a State officer, and he directed Feaney, in his capacity of Chief of the Jersey City Police Board, to suspend the delinquent detective. The Governor will also write to the Prosecutor Winfield and direct him to have the Grand Jury investigate the circumstances surrounding the escape.

The Jersey City police have received no tidings as to the whereabouts of John Hyer, the young bookkeeper who escaped from Detective Dalton at Pittsburg while on his way from San Francisco, where he had been arrested to answer a charge of having embezzled $6,000 from William Harney his employer and cousin, of Jersey it. When Detective Dalton arrived at the station in Jersey City Sunday night he had his prisoner's pretty young wife with him. Her father, Superintendent Marsh of the Adams Express Company, took her to his home. She was received there with many manifestations of joy.

She is believed to have been a party to her husband's escape. Dalton permitted him to occupy the same berth with her, and the marks of his shoes upon the window show that he escaped through that. he could scarcely have done it, however, without his wife's connivance. Dalton was much dejected or at least seemed to be-when he reached Jersey City, and yesterday was confined to his house with physicians in attendance upon him.

December 25, 1892 - New York Times



Edward Dalton of 496 Ninth Avenue, this city, was held in Recorder McDonough's Court in Hoboken yesterday, to await investigation by the police into a remarkable robbery.

Friday evening he drove a wagon load of Christmas packages to John M. Patterson's express office on Bloomfield Street, Hoboken. He was a stranger to Patterson, but when his bill of lading was checked off everything was apparently all right. One of the clerks, however, noticed indications that a money package had been opened and carefully resealed. Other money packages were examined and were found to have been tampered with. Dalton expressed and betrayed astonishment when he was told that $100 had been taken from them. He explained that while he was in a saloon on Ninth Avenue in New York, the express wagon stopped at the door, and the driver ran in to get a drink. Through a stranger, he asked Dalton to join him, and while they drank, the driver became suddenly ill, or seemed to be. "I can't go another step with that load," he said to Dalton, and I'll lose my job if I don't drive it over to Patterson's place in Hoboken." Dalton volunteered to drive it. When the driver said he would pay him a collar. He had a matter of fact, many of the articles which he had delivered safely into Patterson's hands, and which he might have stolen, were of unusual value. The police believe that the driver had "Tapped" the packages before he had entrusted the load to Dalton.

April 20, 1894 New York Times


Report Says that One or More of the Deputies Were Killed by the Outlaws

Battle Took Place More than Sixty Milles from Perry, Oklahoma

Several Posses Start for the Scene of the Conflict

Rejoicing in Perry at the Bandits' End.

PERRY, Oklahoma, April 19.

A battle to the death was fought yesterday between six members of the notorious Dalton band of outlaws, headed by "Bill" Dalton, and a force of Deputy United States Marshals. The Bandits were killed by the bullets from the rifles of the posse, which has been trying to effect their capture for some time.

The fatigued courier who brought the news of the encounter to this place today was able to give particulars of the actual result in killed and wounded on both sides, as he left before the end of the battle. He believe that one, perhaps more, of the Marshals were killed. The battle is reported to have taken place sixty-miles southeast of this city, near Ingalls, which is the dividing line between the reservation of the Creek Indians and Oklahoma. The band of outlaws consisted of "Bill" Dalton, "Bill" Doolan, "Bitter Creek Kid", "Three-Fingered Jack Boone", and two unknown men.

Their pursuers were eight United States Deputy Marshals, headed by City Marshal William Tilghman of Perry and his assistant, H. Thomas. Both these officers had authority to as Deputy United States Marshals from United States Marshal Nix. They have a reputation all over the Western States and Territories for bravery and skill in sharps-hooting. It had been expected for some time that a fight would take place, and the desperate character of the extinct band of outlaws, combined with the determination of the officers of the law to hunt them to their death, gave assurance of a determined battle. The leader of the band which has just been exterminated was the brother of the famous Daltons who were killed at Coffeyville, Kan., during a raid on the bank there. One brother is living in California and another near Fort Smith, Ark., in the Creek country.

Those who have now been killed plundered the depot at Woodward, Oklahoma, a weeks ago, and secured $10,000. Sheriff Scruggs left here tonight with a posse of twelve for the scene of the battle. He will make a forced march and will be joined by posses which have left Guthrie, Oklahoma City, and Chandler for the battle ground. "Bill" Dalton has a sister living near this city. There is great excitement here tonight. The reward for Dalton's capture, dead or alive, is $2,500, and the price on Doolan's head is $1,500.

City Marshal Tilghman, who is reported to have been the leader of the posse, was formerly City Marshal of Dodge City, Kan. A more daring officer in this section of the country is not to be found. There is general rejoicing here tonight over the extermination of the worst band of outlaws which has infested the Territory since the original Dalton band met death at Coffeyville. The Daltons long have been a terror to people throughout the unsettled parts of the country. More than forty murders have been charged to them.

September 18, 1894 - New York Times


Mrs. Dalton's Relatives Withdraw Their Objections to Her Will.

The will of Bridget T. Dalton, who died Feb. 9 1894, was admitted to probate yesterday, as the fifteen contestants at the last minute withdrew their opposition. Mrs. Dalton was the wife of the late Contractor, Michael Dalton of Brooklyn.

The estate is valued at $100,000. Mrs. Dalton bequeathed the larger portion of it to Bishop Charles E. McDonnell of Brooklyn. The will was dated Oct. 6, 1893. The relatives who withdrew their objections yesterday were contesting on the ground that Bishop and the Little Sisters of the Poor had so worked upon Mrs. Dalton's feelings that she had been induces to leave the property to them.

New York Times - October 4, 1894, Wednesday

To Investigate Dalton and Morris.

JERSEY CITY, N. J., Oct. 3.

At the Police Board meeting this afternoon President Abernethy offered a resolution instructing Chief Murphy to investigate the charge made by Charles Applegate before the Lexow committee to the effect that Detective William Dalton and Peter F. Morris were in the pay of the "green-good" men. President Abernethy said it was due to the officers that they should have an opportunity to establish their innocence if they could; if they could not, it was due to the department that they should dismissed. The resolution was unanimously adapted. Chief Murphy will apply to Mr. Goff for a certified copy of the evidence, in order that he may know exactly what is alleged against the officers.

September 11, 1896, Wednesday


Man Who Helped Him Attack Hildebrand Not Captured.

James Dalton, the man who, with another man, assaulted and robbed Henry Hildebrand, George Ringler & Co.'s clerk, in the hallway of his house, 1912 Third Avenue, at noon Wednesday, was taken to Police Headquarters yesterday. Former Detective Jacob Von Gerichten, representing George Ringler & Co., and Henry Hockemeister, the cashier of the firm, went with a party in order to identify and secure the checks which Dalton took from young Hildebrand.

At Police Headquarters Dalton was paraded before the detective force and closely scrutinized, but none of the force could remember ever having seen him before. His picture was then taken for the Rogues Gallery, a minute description of him was entered on the record, and he was taken, handcuffed to the Harlem Court.

Young Hildebrand, who went to court with Lorenz Zellner, the Counsel for Ringler & Co., told the story of his struggle with Dalton very modestly. Mr. Zellner said that Hildebrand had violated a rule of the firm in going to his dinner before going to the bank, but that the members of the firm, despite the loss, had so much admiration for the young ma's bravery that they would retain him in their employ and would not punish him.

Dalton was arraigned at the bar. He looked at Magistrate Simms defiantly when the usual formal questions were asked him, and then pleaded not guilty, waived examination, and was held in $5,000 bail for trial. The police have made every effort to capture Dalton's confederate, but without success. They have but a meager description of him, and it would be not at all surprising if he were never caught. Hildebrand describes him as a middle-aged man of large stature, with a grey beard. Such a man was seen running down Lexington Avenue, and through One Hundred and Fourth Street to Second Avenue about the time of the robbery; but at Second Avenue all trace of him was lost.

August 1, 1896 - New York Times


Perhaps James Dalton Dreamed He Was in Swimming and Dived

James Dalton, the nine-year-old son of Mrs. Mary Dalton, a widow living on the third floor of the tenement house at 455 Eleventh Avenue, had a narrow escape from death early yesterday morning. While asleep he fell through the airshaft into the basement of the house.

Mrs. Dalton has nine young children. James slept with several of his brothers in a small bedroom, in which there is a window opening into the airshaft. Before the children went to bed Thursday night, Mrs. Dalton closed the airshaft window, as she feared one of them might fall down the shaft. The tenants were aroused just before 2 o'clock yesterday by a child's screams for help. Mrs. Dalton was awakened with the rest, and running into the room where the children slept, she found James missing. The window opening into the airshaft was opened.

James was fond lying at the bottom of the shaft. He was taken back to his mother's apartments. He was severely cut about the head and neck and complained about severe pains in the back. He could not tell how he had met with the accident. It is supposed he got up in his sleep and opened the window. As he had taken off his night cloths, it is believed he dreamed he was swimming and dived out of the window. Across the shaft, on the second floor below, there was a board which was is used by the tenants on that floor for storing pots and pans. The lad in his descent broke struck this board and broke it. This lessened the force of his fall.

The lad was taken to Roosevelt Hospital, where his external wounds were dressed. The doctor who attended him believes he is internally injured. He begged so hard to leave the hospital that his mother took him home in a carriage. He was resting comfortably last night.

September 15, 1896 - New York Times


Policeman Sullivan on Trial at Police Headquarters.

Patrolman Owen Sullivan of the East one Hundred and Fourth Street Station was on trial before Commissioner Parker at Police Headquarters yesterday charged by Capt. Moyniham with having clubbed James Dalton. Dalton was arrested for waylaying Henry Hilderbrand, an employee of George Ringler & Co., brewers, who was robbed of $1,985 by two men Sept. 9.

Doorman Henry Spaulding of Capt. Moynihan's command was tried with Sullivan for the complicity in the alleged clubbing. Capt. Moynihan testified that he heard loud screams from the prison soon after Dalton was locked up. He went back and found Doorman Spaulding holding the door of Dalton's cell open. Policeman Sullivan was in the cell and had his club drawn. Dalton had hold of it with both hands and was crying, Don't kill me!" Blood was streaming down the prisoners head. "I ordered Sullivan to leave the cell," said the Captain, "and asked him why he assaulted Dalton. He said he wanted to make him tell who was hi confederate was." Commissioner Parker asked the Caption whether he had any feelings against Sullivan. Capt. Moynihan replied that he has none. He said he had never seen a worse outrage committed in his experience in the department.

Policeman Sullivan was called to the stand. He related the circumstance of the arrest. "On the way to the cell," said Sullivan, "I asked him if he had anything to give up. In reply he turned upon me just as we reached the bridge leading to the cells, calling me a foul name, and then struck me on the left jaw with his fist. I hit him with a lick on the top of the head with my billy club, and then he quieted down. "The truth of the matter is that Capt. Moynihan has picked me out for dismissal." "Never mind that, "said the Commissioner Parker," go on with your story."

Sullivan said he had arrested Capt, Moynihan brother, Edward Moynihan. Mr. Parker reserved decision.


May 11, 1897 - New York Times


James Dalton, Now in the Tombs, Tells His Part in the Crime


He Tells How He Was Led to Take Part in the Robbery of the Brewery Collector - Says His Companions Have Played False with Him

James Dalton, one of the men who robbed a collector for the George Ringier Brewery last September, made a confession to Assistant District Attorney D. Frank Lloyd yesterday in witch he implicates three other men in the robbery.

Dalton has been in the Tombs since his arrest, and it is understood his trail has been delayed from time to time at his own request and the request of Captain O'Brien of the Detective Bureau. Capt. O'Brien has failed to get any information from Him. Mr. Lloyd would only admit yesterday that Dalton had made a "statement" to him. Dalton afterwards said that he had made the statement and repeated the substance of it to a reporter for The New York Times.

The collector who was robbed, was Henry Hilderbrand, twenty years old, of 1912 Third Avenue. His home was in a flat near the brewery, and it was his habit to stop there of his luncheon while out collecting. On the day of the robbery-Sept. 9, he had over $5,000in his money bag. As he entered the house he was seized by two men, one of whom held him while the other stanched the money bag and made his escape. The second man, who proved to be Dalton, had some difficulty in getting away, and he was arrested.

"It is an unwritten law among crooks," said Dalton, in telling his story, "that where three of four men are in a job, and the man who risks his life and liberty-the man who does the actual work-gets caught, he shall have all the money stolen so that he can give it back to the man robbed, to square matters, or use it for his defense. "I came down here last summer from Buffalo to go to work in the iron foundry in New Jersey. I failed to get work over there, and come to this city, where I got acquainted with a notorious bank robber. I met him several times and one night about the first of September, he asked me to meet him the next night in front of the Hotel Empire at Sixty- third Street and the Boulevard. He intimated that he wanted me to help him on a job. I met him and we went into the hotel, where he introduced me to two men, one he called "Colonel" and the other "Billy." They told me the job was to get the collections of the big brewery and that we would get about $,000 or $7,000 in cash. I agreed to the scheme. We were each to get one-forth of the money.

"We met again the net night, and they told me to met them the next night in a saloon in Seventh Avenue. I met them there and then for the first time was told who was to be robbed and where and when the robbery was to take place. "On the morning of the robbery, I met one of the men at Third Avenue and Ninth-second Street, near the brewery. He said he had 'looked over the ground', and surveyed the brewery and house in which Hilderbrand lived, and had noticed how Hilderbrand walked. "After waiting some time we saw Hilderbrand come out of the brewery and start up the avenue. He had the money bag in his hand. We jumped on a cable car and passed him and got to the house before he was within two blocks of it. We went up to the first landing and stood in the end of the hallway until we heard him coming in. "When Hilderbrand reached the head of the stairs, I started along the hallway just as though I lived in the house and was going out. I passed Hilderbrand and turned. The other man pointed the revolver at him and told him to throw up his hands. I seized him from behind and my companion grabbed the bag and ran down the stairs. The fellow fought with me to the head of the stairs, and we fell half way down the flight before I got away from him. Then I fell in the street and got caught. I have never seen any of the others since, and they have not sent me any money or done anything to help me out.

Dalton is a small, strongly built man, about twenty-five years old. This is his second offense of this kind in this state, and if convicted on a trial the maximum penalty would be forty years imprisonment.

November 30, 1897 - New York Times


Thomas Magee's Story of his Forty-two Days Journey in Alaska.


Two Hundred Miles of Navigation Up the Icy Yukon and

Three Hundred Miles of Overland Travel.

SEATTLE, Washington, Nov. 29.

Thomas Magee of San Francisco, who arrived in this city on the steamer City of Seattle from Dawson City, in giving an account of his trip over the Dalton trail, said:

"In a canoe with one Indian and Mr. Ferguson, my son, and myself left Dawson Oct. 14 with about 600 pounds of food and personal effects. Jack Dalton, two later, with an Indian in a fourteen-foot shell, having about 2 pounds of fright, followed. He overtook us ten days out, and when the ice was running very heavily in the Yukon. On the forth day we encountered very severe obstacles in crossing the river at a point where it was much too deep for poling. After two hours work and repeated danger of foundering, we finally got cross. The ice in the main river grew daily worse until the ninth day, when in a slough, with a raging current, high banks, and overhanging trees, we were caught in nearly ice-closed water. Further progress seemed impossible.

"Here Dalton and the Indian joined us, his canoe having been partially wrecked by ice jamming half a mile ahead. We joined forces." After thirteen days of this up-river work-all days of difficulty, doubt, and danger-we reached Selkirk Oct. 25. After a rest of two days we left Selkirk. "Thirteen inches of snow was on the ground, and more was treating. A trail through the woods had to be cut as we slowly headed for Five Finger Rapids, fifty-five miles further up the Yukon. We had five horses. The trail kept so bad that on the second day, Dalton and two other men went back to Selkirk and brought up a canoe, to which the packs were transferred, thus greatly lightening the horses. Feed was scarce, and the animals, reindeer like, had to paw down in the snow to get to it. It snowed off and on for two days. On the third day it seemed that further snowfalls might make the trail impassable for anything like rapid travel. Two feet already lay on the level. "Under these circumstances, and with over 300 miles of land travel before us, Dalton strongly urged us to go back to Selkirk. But we reduced, and for very good reasons. My son and I already had contributed all our provisions, and a single pound was not to be had at Selkirk. The Yukon was then almost closed with ice. There was therefore, no apparent hope that if there, nothing was to be had to eat. To goon was therefore, the only wise course.

"Near Five Finger Rapids the horses swam the river again, and we pushed p the right bank to Cormack's post, twenty-five miles, where we left the Yukon and any possibility of turning back. Six days over a very rough county, but with no new snow, brought us to Hootchy-Eye, seventy-five miles, where there were three deserted Indian cabins."

"The next day we passed thought a country bare of timber, in a very gloomy, wind threatening weather. On the summit of the surrounding mountains heavy gales and snow were prevailing. Bad water beyond Hootchy-Eye poisoned most of the party, causing severe and frequent cramps and hemorrhages. We got only two meals a day on the entire trip, breakfast always in the dark between 4 and 6, and dinner between 4 and 5. ̉The short daylight and the difficulty of packing provisions did not allow stops for midday meals. A meal at Dalton's Post, which we reached in six days from Hootchy-Eye, and composed of canned corn beef and bread, baked by Dalton, and a can of cold tomatoes, had a magic effect on our physical strength, comfort, and satisfaction. Our horse were left here. Two had died on the way."

"Thirty miles from the post was another base of Dalton supplies in two tents. We should have reached this place, called the Cache, on the second day. We walked from 7:30 A. M. until after 7 P. M., three hours past daylight, without reaching timber shelter or without reaching the Cache. We then lost the trail, Dalton still being behind at the post. A night spent far within the arctic regions could not have been more desolately exposed, though, of course, it could have been colder. The thermometer was about 20 degrees below zero, and the wind made it worst. Four of the party partially froze their feet during the night. Next day, by moonlight, very early, we were off for the first summit, for there were two to cross. The first has an elevation of 2,800 feet; the second is 800 feet lower. The pace was a running walk and the course largely over smooth ice. I got some very hard falls."

After crossing this summit the worst of our troubles were over and we were within forty miles of Chilkat. I had in forty days traveled on an icy river for 200 miles and by land for over 300 miles, pushing on in very poor condition, a portion of the time in intense pain. Part of the time I did not in the least care whether I lived of died. Had I been assured and morning of the trip that I would be dead before night I would with none the less appetite have eaten my full share of bacon and beans and drunk my coffee in contentment. On the last day I did not walk, but rode in an Indian sleigh on the ice of Chilkat River. We entered the word again on the forty-second day from Dawson.

April 27, 1902 - New York Times

Fatal Nitro-Glycerin Explosion.

MARIETTA, Ohio, April 26.

One hundred quarts of nitro-glycerin exploded at Sanco Creek, Tyler County, West Va., today, killing Edward Dalton of Sistersville and Byron N. Gerry, both engaged in shooting a well. Considerable adjacent property was also destroyed.

June 17, 1902 - New York Times


James J. Dalton, Who Killed Kansas Guard, to be Taken from Texas.

AUSTN, Texas, June 16.

Sherriff Guntrie of Marshall County, Kan., was here today and secured from Gov. Sayers and extradition warrant for James J. Dalton, who is under arrest at San Antonio, charged with murder of Charles B. Batterson, a prison guard at Marysville, Kan., on April 6, 1898. Dalton and two other prisoners killed the guard and made their escape from prison and have been at large ever since. The other two fugitives are known to be in Texas, and their arrest will be effected in a few days. Sheriff Guthrie says that Dalton was a member of the notorious Dalton gang, which committed many crimes in Indian Territory and Texas a few years ago.

November 22, 1902 - New York Times


John H. Dalton, a Chicago Politician, Said to Have

Defrauded Newspapers Out of $560,00.

CHICAGO, Nov. 21.

That John H. Dalton, a North Side politician and saloon keeper, swindled about 25,000 newspapers in the United States and foreign countries and cleared at least $560,000 through his scheme, is what United States District Attorneys Bertha and Morrison hope to show in the Federal Court in the next few days. Pot Office Inspector Ketcham gives this estimate of the profits of the indicted politician.

Dalton is being tried in the Federal court on a charge of fraudulent use of the mails in the name of the Independent Advertising Agency. While his alleged victims are numbered in the thousands, the indictment shows only three names of publishers who are said to have been victimizes by Dalton's advertising scheme. These complainants are A. M. Willoughby of the Greenburg, Ind. Review; A. F. Dunlap of the West Salem, Ohio, Reporter, and C. H. Peterson of the Wesley, Iowa, News. Louis E. Ogle, also indicted, is said to have made a full confession of Dalton's methods to the Government Attorneys and he will be an important witness against his ex-partner. Ex-Alderman John H. Colvin and ex-United States Marshall John W. Arnold were among the first witnesses for the prosecution today. The former said he was given ten shares of the stock in the Advertising Agency in 1900 and elected President without his knowledge. Mr. Arnold testified that he also received ten shares of stock from Dalton and was made Vice President without his consent. Both declared the resigned their offices as soon as they became suspicious of Dalton's scheme.

September 23, 1907 - New York Times


Sheriff Takes Him from Jail to Thwart Gathering Lynches.

COLUMBUS, Ohio, Sept. 22.

Henry Dalton, a negro, who last night shot and killed Chris Horn, a Big For Railroad engineer, at Delaware, Ohio, was brought to Columbus tonight b Sheriff Matthews, to save the prisoner from violence at the hands of some of Delaware's enraged citizens. James Knowlton and Dalton, workman in a quarry at Sunburg, were riding in a buggy that cashed in to a carriage driven by Horn. The engineer upbraided the men for their carelessness. Knowlton started to fight Horn and was getting the worst of the fight, when Dalton drew a revolver and shot Horn. Dalton was captured and locked up in the county jail. Horn died this morning, and as the news spread groups of excited men began to gather in the streets. There was talk of Lynching, and the situation became so threatening that Sheriff Matthews slipped Dalton out the back door of the jail with Dalton, drove to a station on the interurban line and brought him to Columbus.

June 8, 1908 - New York Times


Ex-Commissioner of Public Works Thrown Out in Park and Arm Broken.

Ex-Commissioner of Public Works William Dalton is confined to his bed in his apartment in the Hotel York, Seventh Avenue and Thirty-sixth Street, suffering from a broken arm and other injuries received on Saturday evening, as a result of his horse becoming frightened and running away in Central Park. At the hotel last night the condition of the leader of the Ninth Assembly District was favorable.

The accident occurred early Saturday morning, the commissioner being pitched out of the carriage. The police of the Arsenal later recovered a horse and carriage and reported that a man, who would not give his name or state his injuries, had been injured and had gone home. Later a man called and claimed the outfit, giving the name of William Dalton as the owner. Dalton was accompanied by a companion, whose name the police did not learn, and they were unable to ascertain if the Commissioner's companion had been injured or not. The horse the Commissioner was driving is said to have taken fright at a passing automobile.

Trial for a holdup In Franklin, Ky. of which Frank James was charged and proved innocent resulted in an agreement by the Government in which Dalton's slate was wiped clean and lie returned to civil life. About eight yean ago he made a profession, of religion. He was a member of the Central Baptist Church when he died. He is Survived by his wife, Amanda Ellison Dalton, to whom ho was married forty-five years ago. He will be buried tomorrow afternoon in the United Confederate Veterans lot at Elmwood Cemetery.

Caption Kit Dalton, the sole survivor of the Jesse James band of outlaws, the Quantrill raiders and Sam Bass Texas band of outlaws, died here tonight. He did not die with his boots on. He succumbed to an illness which extended over four years.

March 16, 1911, Thursday - New York Times


Police Say John Dalton Shot Dentist in the Presence of Two Chinatown Women.

Puzzling conditions surrounding the muder of Dr. Frederick Eugene Post, a dentist, of 19 Catharine Street, on Wednesday of last week, were cleared up yesterday, revealing a wonton crime, Central Office detectives say,. The declared Dr. Post was mortally shot while in a stupified condition by John Dalton, a youthful criminal with a long record, in the presence of another man and two Chinatown women.

Late yesterday Police Commissioner Cropsey issued circulars for distribution throughout the country, asking for Dalton's arrest on sight. Information on which Dalton is charged with the crime was given to Inspector Russell after much persistent questioning by Lulu Smith, 28 years old, of 9 Pell Street. "Dr. Post inherited considerable money," said Inspector Russell last night, and went to the slums to spent it.He has lived in Chinatown for the last twelve years, and is wholly typical of the girls who make their home in that locality. Before the shooting of Dr. Post he had treated her teeth, charging her $40 for the work, which she paid him. "She had prosted later, however that the price was too high, and on the day of the shooting had gone to Post's office to demand some of the money back. There she found another young woman of Chinatown, May Mansell, who has a prison record for shoplifting. The present of the Mansell woman and the fact that Dr. Post refused to return her any of the money enraged Lulu Smith, and she left vowing speedy vengence.

"At her very door she met Jack Dalton, alias John Brady. She informed him that May Mansell, to whom he was attached, was at Dr. Post's office. Dalton was quick to act. Getting a 'pal' John Rice, the two went at once to Dr. Post's office, acompanied by Lulu Smith. There they found May Mansell and Dr. Post smoking opium. The visitors went in, and Dalton carefully closed the door after seeing that no one was following them. Then he said to the dentist; "Now I have got you right" Then the two men proceeded to strip the dentist of all his clothes. Post who was an invalid, and half doped from the opim, did not resist, and Dalton pulled a revolver from his pocket and said to him, I am going to give it to you now." May Mansell pleaded with Dalton not to shoot the dentist, ut the young man paid no attention to her. Then Post said to Dalton, "Don't give it to me with that, your fists will do".

Dalton paid no attentain to the pleadings and pushed the dentist over on the couch,. The others stood about the roon and looked on as Dalton places his weapon against the lower part of Post's abdomen and fired a shot. The dentist cried out, but remained conscious. Then Dalton fired another shot into him in the same spot.

Dalton and Rice then went away, but then come back. While they were out, Lulu Smith went to Dr. Weinstock in Oliver Street and asked him to come to the house. This was about 9 o'clock in the evening, and the shotting occurred about 4 o'clock in the afternoon. She also brought with her Barney Lipschitz, a friend.

When Dr. Weinstock arrived he found Post smoking a cigarette and Dalton, Rice, May Mansell and Lulu Smith and her friend in the room with him. He saw that the dentist was badly hurt and advised that he be sent to the hospita. Then a cab was called and the wounded dentist was sent to the New York Hospital, where he died a few hours later. "When Dalton learned that his victim had died it was 5 o'clock in the morning on the morning following the shooting. He and Rice got a cab and went to a cigar store in East Eleventh Street, where there was a poker game in progress. "The two men entered the game, and after playing long enough to learn where the money about the table was, they suddenly pulled revolvers and demanded that all in the room throw up their hands. The men in the place were compelled to put their money on the table, and the two young men got away with between $300 and $400."

Inspector Russell said his men were close on the track of Dalton and Ricd, expecting to have them within the next twenty-four hours. Lul Smith is being detained as a witness and Mary Mansell is wanted as a wirness.

Dalton has been known to the police since 1902, when he was arrested as a thief. He was then 17 years old, 4 feet 9-1/2 inches tall, and weighed 87 pounds. The police describes him a having dark brown hair, brown eyes, and medium conplection. The third finger of his right hand is deformed, and he has a scar in the right palm. Police Commisioner Cropsey says in his circular asking the arrest of Dalton: "Keep a sharp lookout for this man, as he makes a speciality of traveling through the country picking pockets. Police and prison official are requested to make a careful search of their records, as he may now be in their custody for the commission of some offense." May Mansell is described as 5 feet 2-3/4 inches tall, weighing 114 pounds, and having brown hair, brown eyes, medium conplexion. She is a milliner by occupation. The police say she is noted for her abundance of dark brown hair. When last seen she had a lagge scratch on the left side of her forehead.

December 26, 1911 - New York Times


Man Now Rich Seeks Woman Who Kept Him and Son from Poorhouse

Boston, Mass., Dec. 25.

Three years ago today Edward Dalton and his son John J. Dalton, were on their way to the poorhouse when they were befriended by a woman, whose name they do not know. Through the death of a brother, Mr. Dalton has come into a fortune, and now wishes to find his benefactor. From Nashua, N. H., Dalton writes:

"Two years ago last Christmas Day my son and I were penniless and had no where to go. We were on our way to the Tewksbury State Hospital and half way between Lowell and Tewksbury I stopped at a house and asked for something to eat. Now, as my son has just sent a letter stating that my brother has just died and left me a large sum of money, I wish to find the woman who fed and clothed us both and gave s more to take back home to our family. "Tell her to write my son, John J. Dalton, Cliff House, San Francisco, Cal. As we both left her house and came down the steps I noticed a name plate on the door with the name "Buck." Perhaps you will be able to find her through this, as I am too old a man to travel, or I would find the woman who befriended my son and me on Christmas day. I will see that she is well remembered for what she has done for me us."

January 7, 1915, Thursday


Brooklyn Offered Him $500 Increase, but He Wanted More To Play in Buffalo.

NEWARK, N. J. Jan. 6.

Jack Dalton, the Brooklyn National League outfielder, who resides in thia city, today announced that he had jumped to the Federal League. Dalton stated that he had signed a two years contract without the objectional ten days clause. He refused to say at what figure he agreed to play, but said that it was considerably more than he was offered by the Dodgers. He deposited the bonus money he received for signing the contract in a local trust company this morning.

Dalton is to play with Buffalo of the Federals, where his old friend, Larry Schlafly is the manager. It is Schlafly that persuaded Dalton to jump organized baseball. Dalton gave harles H. Ebbets untill Jan. 13 to come to terms, but when Schlafly came here recently to renew didkering with Dalton the latter met Ebbets in a series of conferences. It is nderstood that the Brooklyn managemnet offered Dalton an increase of $500 over his salary of last season, but this did not satisfy the player, who felt he was entitled to more money because he led the National League in batting for some time last year. His batting average last season was .337.

Dalton has been connected with the Brooklyn or Newark team of the International League for several years. He is a Southerner but was discovered in Des Moines by Scout Larry Suttonf or the Brooklyn Club in 1910. In 1911 he was sent to Newark and was later recalled by Brooklyn. Later they sent him to Toronto where he helped to win the pennant in the International League in 1912. In 1913 Brooklyn again found use for Dalton, but before the season ended he was shifted back to Newark and he was a factor in the capturing of the 1913 championship by the Newark team. Last Spring Dalton went South with the Newarks, but was turned over to Brooklyn at the start of the season.

Charles H. Ebbets, Jr., Secretary of the Brooklyn Club, sad he though the Brooklyns could stand thje shock of Dalton's desertion and would open the season just the same on scheduled time. Mr. Ebbets atates that he was not aware that the outfielder was doing business with the Feds. he also said that the Brooklyn Club did not propose to run around the country after ball players. "Dalton knowa where our office is at Ebbets Field,: said Secretary Ebbets, "and if he wanted to do business with us he should have come there. Dalton's contract expired last season, but he is held under the reserve clause. The Brooklyn Club will evidently make no effort to get back the truant."

April 4, 1920 - New York Times


Sole Survivor of Jesse James Bank and Quantrell Raider.

MEMPHIS, Tenn., April 3.

Captain Kit Dalton, the sole survivor of the Jesse James band of outlaws, the Quantrell raiders and Sam Bass Texas band of outlaws, died here tonight. He did not die with his boots on. He succumbed to an Illness winch extended over four years.

Kit Dalton was born in Logan County, Ky., Jan. 23, 1848. For thirty years he had lived a quiet and respected life here in Memphis, and his small and erect figure, clad in Confederate uniform, with immaculate vest and shin, was familiar to alt Memphians.

Into the first thirty years of Kit Dalton's life was crowded much adventure. As a youngster he ran away from home and Joined Forrest's cavalry during the Civil War. It was when visiting his home on a furlough that devastation he saw caused him. to organize a band of guerrillas. They began to operate outside of Kentucky. Unable to return home he linked his fortunes with those of Jesse and Frank James, Five Governors had set a price upon the head of Kit Dalton, offering $50-000 for his capture dead or alive, but he was never captured. He at one time was a member of Sam Bass' gang, who operated in Texas, and he saw Bass killed.


©2000-2013 Site design and database indices, Dalton Genealogical Society.
Contents have been provided by the Dalton Genealogical Society, its members and independent contributors. It is the onus of the user to verify the data.