Daltons in Illinois Newspapers 1908 - 1922


Researched, complied & edited by Rodney G. Dalton from various sources on the World Wide Web.


(search this page, highlight and jump to the results)




Urbana Daily Courier - Sunday, November 22, 1908


Young Man of Muscatine, Iowa, Sets House on Fire.
Muscatine, Iowa, Nov. 21.

Enraged because his widowed mother would not give him money with which to pay his excessive gambling debts, George Dalton, aged 20, set fire to the house and his mother was barely rescued by neighbors. Dalton is being hunted with hounds and it is feared that he may be lynched.

Urbana Daily Courier - Friday, April 09, 1909

Chicago, April, 9.

Kicked into insensibility by tramps and locked in a box car on a fright train, was the experience of John Dalton, special detective assigned to the Chicago district lines of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern railroad.

Daily Illini (University of Illinois) -Saturday, February 26, 1921 (Copy from the New York Times)


William Dalton, Aged 17, Takes Fortune in Liberty Bonds From a Chicago Trust Company.

Youth Whose Salary Was $80 a Month Went to Y. M. C. A., Had No Bad Habits.


Paid $19 a Week, He Robs Mail Order House of Thousands by False Orders.

A seventeen-year-old clerk employed by the Northern Trust Company of this city, walked out of the bank at noon yesterday, carrying with him Liberty bonds of a par value of $772,000, which he had wrapped in a brown paper parcel. Dalton, who had been in the bank for three years, receiving a salary of $80 a month, has not been seen since.

The theft was discovered two hours after Dalton left, but no clue to the clerk’s whereabouts has been found. The Northern Trust Company has offered a reward of $1,000 for his apprehension and $25,00 for the recovery of the stolen bonds. Previous to the theft, the boy, according to his mother, had been a steady churchgoer, spent his evenings at the Y. M. C. A. College, and had no bad habits. Although a blanket insurance policy covers part of the loss, the bank will suffer if the bonds are not recovered. The institution has $1,120,000 in undivided profits.

A private detective agency has been engaged by the bank to search for Dalton, the police have been notified, and the United States Secret Service has promised its assistance.

Dalton first went to work for the bank in June, 1918,as a page, carrying messages from one department to another. Three months ago he was made a junior clerk. He was bonded in the sum of $5,000. The missing bonds were sent yesterday from the savings department on the second floor to the three floor for checking. The bonds were of the “temporary” 4-½ per cent. Forth Liberty Loan issue. They were to be converted into permanent coupon bonds, and were held in trust b the bank from its depositors for that purpose. There were four $10,00 and nine $5,000 bonds. The remaining $687,000 were in denominations of $1,000, $500, $100 and $50. Their total market value was approximately $670,000.

Six persons were working in the securities cage in the trust department, one of whom was Dalton, to whom the bonds were delivered for counting and checking. On one apparently, paid much attention to Dalton as he counted the bonds and checked them on a slip of paper. He left his cage for a moment and returned, according to one of his fellow clerks, with a sheet of brown wrapping paper. At 12.20 Irving Hanson, Daltons immediate superior, remarked, “It’s lunch time. Guess I’ll be going” Dalton placed the bond parcel under his arm, walked down the stairs to the locker room, put on his hat and overcoat and left the building. Mr. Hanson noticed Dalton’s absence at 2:30 o’clock, and a quick investigation showed the bonds were missing.

Dalton’s description, as made public by the bank is as follows: “Seventeen years of age, 5 feet 3 inches in height, weight 103 pounds, slender build, dark hair combed pompadour style, cut recently; pimpled face. Wore a mixed gray-and-black suit, with cap to match, overcoat with belt, tan shoes and soft collar”

Dalton lived with his mother and two older sisters. His father is dead. “This is perhaps the first time that Dalton has had the opportunity to handling negotiable paper in large amounts” said S. C. Stallwood, Treasure of the trust company, tonight. “These transactions in Liberty bonds only come up twice a year” “Dalton has only been in the cage three months. His habits, we have gathered, were regular. We found that he kept a savings account in our bank and that on Thursday morning he drew $50, leaving a balance of $68.12. We have checked with all bond brokers in the city and found none of the bonds has yet turned up. I don’t believe that he had planned the theft, for he had no opportunity of knowing he was to count the bonds of have anything to do with them.”

That Dalton apparently had no large sum of money in his pocket is advanced by detectives for their belief that he has not tried to leave the city, but is hiding in some obscure hotel or lodging house. These places are being systematically canvassed. Railroad stations and other points of egress from the city re being covered, while an alarm has been sent broadcast. Lists of the serial numbers of the missing bonds were prepared, and the stock ticker wires will carry tomorrow morning in a general warning to all bankers and brokers.

Dalton’s mother told bank officials that the boy had been acting naturally the last few weeks. “William was always a good boy, she sobbed. I can’t account for this at all. God knows I’ve tried to bring him up as a mother should. He was a good boy and stayed at home nights. I brought him up to go to church and Sunday school.” “He has not been running with and fast crowd and he did not have any sweetheart that I know of. Several nights lately he has been out until about 11:30, but he always told me he had been to a movie, and he talked to me about the pictures he had seen.”

Mrs. Dora Dalton, his mother, asked the Chicago Tribute to appeal to her son to get in touch by wire collect to the city editor that arrangements might be made for his surrender and return.

Daily Illini (University of Illinois) Tuesday, March 01, 1921

For Freedom on Mental Deficiency Grounds

CHICAGO, Feb. 28.

William Dalton, the 16 year old bank employee who was captured in his flight with $772,000 in liberty bonds stolen from the Northern Trust company, is scheduled for an early trial. True bills charging him with grand larceny were voted by the Cook county grand jury today. While the grand jury was in session. Dalton was booked on a charge of grand larceny.

Instead of entering a plea of guilty, Dalton is expected to make a finish fight to escape conviction. Counsel for the youth said that defense would be made on the grounds that he was mentally deficient.

The village of Heyworth, where Dalton was captured, is upset over the reward of $26.000 given to Paul Draper, son of the village constable and James Dennis, who took Dalton into Heyworth in an automobile and said he gave Draper the tip that Dalton was the missing bank robber. Dennis, through his attorney stopped payment of the check which Draper first offered Dennis $100 as his share of the reward.

Chicago Grand Jury Will Take up Today Bank Clerk’s Theft of $772,000.

Youth Signs Confession

Meanwhile Dispute Breaks Out Over $26,000 Reward Paid for His Capture.

CHICAGO, Feb. 27.

William Dalton, the 17-year old clerk who stole $772,000 in Liberty bonds from the Northern Trust Company here on Thursday and was arrested in Heyworth, Ill., yesterday was brought to Chicago today. Within an hour after arrival Dalton had made a formal confession to the State’s Attorney, a complaint of grand larceny had been filed and plans had been made to present the case to the Grand Jury tomorrow afternoon.

“This case, like all other criminal cases, must be handled with speed,” declared State’s Attorney Crowe. “Whatever must be done with this boy must be done at once.” Mr. Crowe instructed his special investigator, Benjamin Newmark, to round up all witnesses in the case and have them ready to appear before the Grand Jury tomorrow. They include Nole B. Judah, attorney for the bank; W. S. Miller, Vice President; Lamson Date, Assistant Secretary; Irving Hanson, in charge of the securities department of the bank and Dalton’s immediate superior, and Paul Draper, who captured Dalton in Heyworth.

Mr. Miller reiterated his opinion that Dalton should be punished. “We cannot let this boy go without punishment because of the effect it would have on the community,” the Vice-President said. “The boy was a good employee at the bank and we thought a great deal of him there, but he must suffer the consequences.”

During questioning, Dalton says, “You should not have done this or that thing, or you should have done this. But I am glad now that I was not as wise as some of my advisors. If I had been I would have gotten away. I am glad that they caught me. I am ready to take what’d coming.” Dalton was taken into the room of Special Investigator Newmark, and every detail of his trip was taken down by a stenographer. He then signed the official confession, which will be presented before the Grand Jury.

The chief concern of the young man during the day was his mother, Mrs. Nora Dalton, and his sisters, Mary and Julia, who were in the anteroom while he was being questioned. Mrs. Dalton bowed her head frequently and covered her face with her handkerchief. "My boy! My boy! she sobbed, "What have you done?" When the boy was taken away the sisters clung to him. They had been visitors earlier in the day to Detention Home No. 1, where Dalton was taken on his arrival. Before their visit Dalton stood for a time at the window and watched children playing in the street. "To think." he remarked, that last Sunday I went to Church two times, and this Sunday, here I am. A fellow never can tell." This was the first time since his capture that he had shown any emotion. "Why did you steal the bonds?" he was asked. "I had no reason. it is true that I had thought of the thing several times, but it never had been serious. I suppose everybody that handles money thinks of stealing it. It is human nature. Even the best boys I ever knew used to laugh about such things. They would talk of taking vast amounts, but they were not serious. I knew I was taking a big amount of money. I was taking sure of the amount. Why I took it I can't tell. It was an impulse that's all.

When he was asked if it was true that love for a girl had caused him to steal the money he replied: "I am not in love with any one. There is no use trying to find the reason why I did this. How is it possiable for you to find it out when I cannot myself find it?"

Meanwhile a big row broke out in Heyworth over the $28,000 reward offered for Dalton's capture and recovery of the bonds. Everett Oglevee, a lawyer of Bloomington, was engraged by James Dennis, who tipped off to Jack Draper the mysterious actions of Dalton, to represent him in the battle for the reward which was given to Draper Saturday night. Oglevee announced that Dennis would file immediate claim for the entire reward and will take legal steps to prevent payment of the check to Draper. Dennis is the man who picked up Dalton as he was driving towards Heyworth Friday morning, called the attention of the town Marshal to him, watched the restaurant where the boy had gone for dinner, and then called Paul Draper, son of the town Marshal, and with him watched the boy in the pool room. Together they compared him with the picture found in a Chicago paper. Draper is quoted as saying that he might give Dennis $100, but his failure to open negotiations with Dennis caused the latter to engage an attorney.


At First Says He Was Influenced By Judge Landis's Leniency. Afterward says He Wasn't.

Had Securities in Bag

Northern Trust Company Clerk Betrayed By Excepting a "Lift" in a Automobile.

Says Thief Was "Easy"

Caught in a Poolroom in Heyworth By Town Marshal - Large Reward Paid.

CHICAGO, Feb. 26

William Dalton, the 17-year-old clerk who disappeared on Thursday from the Northern Trust Company's headquarters here with $772,000 in Liberty bonds, was arrested just before noon today in Heyworth, Ill., twenty-eight miles from this city. All except about$300 of the $772,000 was recovered.

Dalton made a complete confession. He told how he walked out of the bank at noon, cashed a $500 bond, and went to Naperville, his first stop. The youthful robber who had eluded the Chicago police and detectives from several national agencies, was arrested by Joseph Draper, Town Marshal of Heyworth. The youth was identified by Paul Draper, son of the Marshal, and the former received tonight the reward of $25,000 posted for the return of the stolen bonds.

The afternoon papers, in press association and special dispatches, published interviews with Dalton, in which he said that he had been influenced by Judge Landis's leniency in the case of the boy teller at Ottawa, Ill., who stole $90,000. The Chicago Tribune's early Sunday edition published this report from its correspondent at Heyworth in the following form:

"How did you come to do this?" Dalton was asked. "Well Dalton replied, "I had read that Judge Landis had been easy on the young fellow who had stole money from the bank at Ottawa, and I thought he probably would be lenient with me too. Judge Landis was told what the captured clerk had said about "getting off easy," He declined to be quoted.

Nine hours afterwards, that is early Sunday morning, a dispatch from Heyworth quoted Dalton as denying, after the arrival of agents of the bank and officers from Chicago, the earlier statement and saying: "The Carey case did not influence me at all. After reading it I did not think any more of it. I didn't approve of Judge Landis's attitude in releasing Carey as I thought he should have gotten his medicine."

The Chicago Tribune's interview with Dalton describing hoe he got away and what happen afterward continues as follows: "I had intended to make for the South," Dalton replies. "I wanted to go down to Louisville, KY. I thought I could get hold of bank stationery there. Then I was going to negotiate with brokers to cash the bonds for me. I did not believe they would suspect me if they though I was some 'big gun' The "The whole thing looked easy. It probably would nave been if I had not gone into that poolroom."

"You want to know how I got out of the bank without any one suspecting me, don't you?" Dalton went on. "I just walked out. Nobody paid the slightest attention to me. I had not given the matter a great deal of thought beforehand. The idea that it would be easy to make a big haul and get away came rather suddenly. Once outside the bank, I went over to a broker's office and sold one $500 bond for $432,50. That’s the only one I disposed of. Then I went first to Naperville. From there I caught a bus to Aurora. I took the electric line from Aurora to Joliet, and from there to Braidwood. There I got the Chicago & Alton train for Bloomington. I arrived there a 9 o'clock Friday night. "At the station in Bloomington I saw a man I recognized as a detective, but he did not spot me. I have seen him many times. I stayed all night at Bloomington and early this morning I started for Heyworth. A fellow picked me up in his car and brought me in"

Daltons arrest was made while he was playing pool with Jack Hennessy, village "cue shark" The clerk had in the pool room some time. A small traveling bag bedside the pool table and the player's resemblance to newspaper photograph of the fugitive challenged Draper's attention.

The arrest of the youth for whom the most extensive dragnet in Chicago police annals had been thrown out, came as the result of Dalton's accepting a "lift" on a country road near Bloomington, Ill. He was plodding along the road, burdened with the satchel containing a fortune, when a motorist pulled up beside him. "Want a ride?" asked this man, whose identity was not disclosed tonight. The boy hesitated, then climbed into the automobile. "Where are you going?" the driver asked. "I an going to Springfield," Dalton replied. "Why don't you take the railroad?" the driver asked. "I don't want to go through Bloomington," the boy answered. That started the motorist thinking. He had been reading in the papers about the robbery. On reaching Heyworth, Dalton had breakfast and then went to a pool parlor, where he challenged Hennessey to a game.

The motorist, who lived in Heyworth, went to his home. The more he thought about the young fellow the more he thought he was Dalton. He finally called up his friend Paul Draper, son of the Marshal. He agreed that the youth looked like Dalton and called his father. The Marshal went to the poolroom and, after observing the player for a time, decided that in fact, the youth looked like the robber's picture in the newspaper. The Marsha went over and opened the bag. The bonds that had made it bulge popped out and scattered on the floor. Dalton apparently little perturbed, regarded them whimsically, and then turned to the town Marshal, exclaiming: "Well, I guess you.ve got me." Then he sauntered across the room, places his cue in the rack, and asked: "What next?"

Half a dozen of the villagers stood around with their mounts open as they saw the great amount of securities roll out on the floor. It was more money than had ever been seen in Heyworth in a lump sum before, and there it was lying on the poolroom floor. For a time all the watchers were afraid to pick up the bonds. The President of the local bank was summoned to the poolroom and the bonds were given into his charge. Escorted by a large crowd, the bank official carried the securities to the bank vault.

Marshal Draper took his prisoner to the home of a citizen and informed the Chicago police of his capture. "That bird is one of the coolest customers I ever encountered," said the Marshal later. "He never blinked an eye. One would have thought that I merely called his attention to the fact he had forgotten to return a box of matches he had borrowed for a "light' or something like that."

Dalton was the coolest man in the crowd. He smiled as he watched he proceddings, with Marshal Draper holding a strong grip on his arm. The Marshal was afraid to trust Dalton to the little jail, for fear that some effort might be made by the prisoner to ecape or that some one might try to kidnap him for the reward. Four heavely armed guards were placed over him in the home to which he was taken. With two certifed checks in their possession, one for $1,000 and one for $25,00, a group of bank officals and detectives arrived in Bloomington tonight prepared to bring young Dalton and the recovered bonds back to Chicago and pay the rewards. in the party are H. O. Edmonds and William S. Millar, Vice Presidents of the bank; John S. Lord, attorney for Lloyds; W. E. Webster and John J. White, Superintendent and Assistant Superintendent of a Detective agency, and George Demer, a Chicago detective.

"We came prepared to pay the reward as soon as we learn who is entitled to it, "said Mr. Miller. "I would not be a bit surprised if the checks are paid out tonight. From newspaper reports the capture was made by 'Jack Draper, the town constable, but that is something we will have to verify. If Draper is entitled to the reward he will get it." Mr. Miller, who had said earlier here that he would use his influence to obtain clemency for the fugitive, reiterated this promise after Dalton was arrested. "Of course," he said. "I can't promise immunity or that he will not be prosecuted. This question will have to be acted upon by the bank officials as a whole."

The Vice President, who had been directing the search for Dalton, was informed by newspaper men that the clerk had been taken and most of the bonds recovered. "Well," he said. "We'll do what we can to get him started back on the right track. He has made a great mistake, but so far as we know, it was his first, and we do not intend to be hard on him."

Spurred by the $26,000 rewards for the recovery of the bonds and Dalton's capture the greatest private detective agencies of the country were enlisted in the search for the missing bank clerk. Dealers in Liberty bonds pasted the numbers of the missing securities in their places of business and watched for the boy with the bonds. Chicago policemen off duty spent their time searching for the boy. When the night force went off duty early today practically all joined in the boy hunt.

One of the Liberty bonds stolen by Dalton was sold by him to Martins & Co., not long before the arrest, when one of the lot described in the circular sent out by the bank. "We believe that the youth who sold the bond was Dalton," said William S. Miller, Vice President of the Trust company. "He went into the brokers office at noontime, not even waiting until afternoon. A

Liberty bond such as he sold is worth about $437 today. It is believed that Dalton went to the broker's office to sell the bond immediately after he had lunch. As he left the bank with a package of bonds under his arm he met another employee and had luncheon with him. After lunch Dalton remarked that he was not going directly back to the bank, and left his companion. It is believed that he then sold the bond.

Proof that Dalton did not try to buy an automobile of Ray F. Mudd & Co. was offered to Chief of Police Charles C. Fitzmorris by Edward J. Olbinski, the would be purchaser, yesterday. Olbinski showed the bonds which he had offered in payment and the receipt for $25 first payment. Olbinski appeared in the office of Chief Fitzmorris with his attorney, Leo S. Mallek. He said he was the man who had wished to purchase the automobile, and presented his proof. His companion, he said, was a youth named "Joe,' who was a chauffeur and mechanic in the employ of the contractor who delivered the Polish national daily. This youth, he said, could come at any time to the office of Chief Fitzmorris. Chief Fitzmorris declared he was satisfied that Olbinski was not connected with the bond theft, and did not know Dalton.

BLOOMINGTON, Ill., Feb 28.

"Blev" Bolin, constable at Heyworth, was sorely disgusted with himself tonight as he reflected on the events of the day, the most sensational in Heyworth's history. He had failed to respond to the voice of opportunity and lost the $26,000 reward for William Dalton was eating his lunch the younger Draper showed Bolin newspaper pictures of Dalton and remarked about the similarity of the pictures as the youth sat at the counter in the restaurant. "Naw, don't look like him to me," said Bolin. "All right, if you don't want to take him, I'll have the old man don't," said the young Draper.


Soon after his arrest at Heyworth, William Dalton said in talking of his crime; "I read what Judge Landis said about the Ottawa boy and I though it fit my case pretty well." He amplified this later as follows: "I read how Judge Landis had said the bankers were partly to blame in the case of the Ottawa boy, named Carey, who stole nearly $200,000. The Judge said they should have paid Carey more, and his case seemed to fit me. I saw the chance to take the bonds and decided on the spur of the moment to try to get away with them. It doesn't pay however, and I am sorry. I'm sorry especially for my mother and sisters. I don't know what I can do now." Later he remarked, "I don't want Judge Landis to set me free. If he would, he would ruin his good name with the public. That kindness to that boy in Ottawa got him in bad. I am willing to pay the penalty."

Late tonight, however, after the bankers and the officers had arrived from Chicago, Dalton denied that he had been influenced by the Landis ruling in the Ottawa case. "THE Carey case did not influence me at all," said Dalton. After reading it, I didn't think any more about it. I didn't approve of Judge Landis's attitude in releasing Carey, as I though he should have gotten his medicine. H. O. Edmonds and W. S. Miller, Vice Presidents of the Northern Trust Company, after counting the bonds tonight, declared that prosecution of Dalton rested with State's Attorney Crowe of Cook County.

“The law must take it’s course in this case, in the same manner as it would in any other,” said Mr. Edmonds. “Strictly specking, it is not for us to prosecute, but we must for our own protection and the safety of other boys placed in like positions, allow the law to assume complete charge of this matter. “When his sentence is served the bank will put no stone in the way of his future advancement in life. Of course, it would be out of the question for us to give him a position in the bank again, but I believe we will do it,”

The $26,000 reward was paid tonight to Paul Draper, overseas veteran and son of the village constable, who arrested the youth. Draper said he would probably give part of the reward to his father and James Dennis, the motorist who picked Dalton up on the county road as he was walking towards Heyworth.

Special to The New York Times - February 28, 1921, Monday


State’s Attorney Promises No Leniency for Boy Who Stole Bonds


Willing to Take Medicine, He Says - Constable Recognized Boy by Picture

Chicago, Feb. 27 - The evidence in the case of William Dalton, 16 year old $5 a month bank clerk who was arrested in Heyworth, Ill., yesterday 48 hours after he had stolen $772,000 in Liberty Bonds from the Northern Trust Company here, where he worked, will be placed before the grand jury tomorrow, it was announced tonight.

Robert Crowe, State’s Attorney, said every effort would be made to bring about speedy punishment of the boy who found it a simple matter to carry out the largest bond theft in history, only to fall into the hands of a village constable after he had been recognized from pictures published in Newspapers. All of the bonds except one for $500, which had been cashed, were recovered.

Meanwhile Dalton sat in a detention home with an occasional teat running down his cheek. He was brought back from Bloomington, Ill., early today. Repeatedly he asked for his mother. At noon his two sisters bought him a chicken dinner and he discussed his case with them. “I did wrong and I’m willing take my medicine,” he aid. “I don’t know just why I did it. But for a week I had been handling hundreds of thousands of dollars in bonds and it was so easy to walk out with them that I just couldn’t help it.”


Ignored Correspondence School Sleuth’s Tip on Dalton

Later a wounded Vet and Son of Constable Dad Made Arrest. “Pin Star Outside Your Coat, “ ‘Says Ma’ While Trio posed.

CHAUFFER WANTS THE $26,000 Reward.

Bloomington, Ill., Feb 27.

James C. Dennis, chauffeur for a lumber company, who gave a ride to William Dalton, the Chicago bond thief, when he fled to Heyworth, today engaged attorneys who made a formal claim on the Northern Trust Co, for the whole of the $26,000 reward which was paid to Paul E. Draper, son of the Heyworth constable who actually made the arrest. Draper has announced that he will give part of the reward to Dennis, but has not stated the amount.

Heyworth, Ill., Feb. 27 - Paul Draper, world war veteran, today was planning what he would do with the $26,000 reward he received for the capture of William Dalton, Chicago bank robber.

Dalton was arrested by Jack Draper, the village constable, and the father of Paul Draper, after the latter had tried in vain to induce “Blev” Bolin, town marshal to take the fleeing boy into custody. “I’ll bet $100 he ain’t Dalton.” Bolin declared at the time, but today he sorrowfully admitted his error.

Young Draper, who was wounded overseas, is an amateur detective, having taken a correspondence school course in the art of catching criminals. He intimated tonight that he would give $100 of his reward to James Dennis, his “buddy” in France, who first called his attention to Dalton. Both Young Draper and his father were kept busy today posing for newspaper photographers who were aided by Mrs. Draper, the wife of the constable. “Pa pin your star on the outside of your coat so they will know you are an officer of the law,” was her suggestion, and Draper lost no time in complying.

Published: May 5, 1921 - New York Times


Chicago Youth Who Stole $772, 000 Bonds to Have New Trail


The jury in the case of William alton, the 16-year-old bank clerk who stold $772,000 worth of Liberty bonds from the Northern Trust Company recently, disagreed and was discharged today after it had deliberated for nearly twenty-four hours. About half of the jurors were understood to have been in favor of acquitting the self-confessed bond thief. The state moved for a new trail and Judge Charles A. McDonald annouched he wouls set a date later.

Dalton's theft was one of the largest bond robberied on record and attracted much attention because of the ease with which the youth carried out his escapade. At his trial, Dalton said he was, "surrounded by bonds"and couldn't resist the temptation to steal because it "was so easy" The defense maintained that Dalton did not take the bonds with criminal intent and should be acquitted. The state instisted that the boy be sent to a reformatory.

Urbana Daily Courier - Wednesday, September 17, 1924


Chicago, Sept. 17.

"Little Willie Dalton", the 19 year-old bank messenger, was found not guilty by a jury here today of stealing $772,000 worth of bonds from the Northern Trust company here in 1921. Young Dalton, only 16 when he walked out of the bank with the bonds to be found three days later, was tried twice previously, the jury in each of the other trials disagreeing on the verdict. Attorney's for Dalton's defense pleaded for the youth on grounds of youth.

Daily Illini (University of Illinois) Date: Jun 27, 1929

Jack Dalton, Once An Outlaw, Marries Boyhood Sweetheart


Jack Dalton, who claims to be the nephew of Emmett Dalton of the notorious Oklahoma outlaw band made depredation in the south-west 40 years age, was married to a woman he said was "Cattle Annie" Burke, his boyhood sweetheart, here today in an aerial ceremony. Dalton drove here in a dilapidated truck from Arizona and the couple took out a marriage license this morning and left at once for the airport, where they were taken up in a cabin plane for the ceremony. The couple was married y Justice of the Peace Platt.

When the Dalton gang broke jail in the early nineties at Guthrie, Okla., and while posses scoured the West for them, the bandits were hiding in the bad lands of Oklahoma. Stories were current at the time that a girl known as "Cattle Annie" Burke carried food to the memers of the gang during their period of hiding out. A few months later, the gang was rounded up. Some og the members were killed, others were sentenced to the penitentiary but some excaped.

Daily Illini (University of Illinois) Date: Jun 27, 1929

J. H. Dalton electrocuted.

J. H. Dalton, who was employed by the Illinois Power and Light corporation, was at a height of 25 feet when the accident happened, according to fellow workers who testified at the inquest. He fell to the ground and suffered several fractured ribs and a skull fracture. Efforts to revive his were without results.

The jury fixed electrocution as the direct case of Dalton's death, although shock and fractures received in the fall might have been enough to kill him. Funeral services will be held at 2 o'clock this afternoon from the Mittendorf funeral chapel. Burial will be in the Mt. Hope cemetery, Sidney.

Mr. Dalton and a crew of three men had been at work for about a month on a line from Deland, east of Deland, to Deland, connecting that city with Clinton.

Mr. Dalton was born December 12 in Sidney and was 36 years old. During the World War he served with Company M of Champaign for two years. Following the war he was married in 1919 to Miss Leone O'Hare of Muncie. Mr. Dalton leaves his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Dalton of Sidney, his widow and one child, Thomas Joseph, six years old; two sisters, Mrs. Edward S. Palmer, 906 North Busey avenue, Urbana, and Mrs. Ronald Brunn, Assumption; two brothers, Ray Dalton, Clinton, and George Dalton, Assumpton.

Daily Illini (University of Illinois) Wednesday, March 09, 1932


First Encouraging Word Comes from Sourland Estate; No Details are Given


NEW YORK, Mar. 8.

A possibility the kidnapers of the Lindbergh baby crossed in the green coupe from Perth Amboy, N. J., to Tottenville, Staten Island, at 10:45 p.m. last Tuesday night was reported tonight by the Times.

James L. Dalton, toll collector at the outer bridge crossing linking Perth Amboy and Tottenville, reported to the port authority, the paper said, that he had observed a green car closely at that hour. He said it contained two men and a woman, all about 30 years old, and a baby about 22 months old, dressed in a white suit. He said he had instructions to obtain the license number and remember that it began, N. Y. 3U. Then he said, after one figure he could not remember, were the figures 680.

Urbana Daily Courier - Date: Mar 30, 1933


Mrs. Macel Dalton, wife of Ray Dalton, Champaign mail carrier, died at 6:30 this morning at her home at 1711 West Church street, that city, following a heart attack. Mrs. Dalton was operated upon for appendicitis two weeks ago and was discharged on Tuesday of this week and removed to her home from a local hospital. This morning she was standing in the bathroom at her home when she was stricken.

Mr. C. S. Bucher, who had attended her, was summoned, but her death occurred within a few minutes after his arrival. Coroner Shurtz was notified but announced that an inquest would not be necessary.

Mrs. Dalton was born in Huntington, W. Va., on June , 1912. On June 11 1921, she was married to Ray Dalton, who with twin sons, Robert and Donald, ages 10 survive her. Besides her husband and children she is survived by her mother, Mrs. Emma Hanshaw, 1002 North Fifth street, Champaign, and a brother Paul at home, and two sisters, Marie at home and Mrs. Elsie Carr, living in Champaign.

Funeral services for Mrs. Ray L. Dalton, 1711 West Church street, Champaign, will be held at 2:30 p.m. tomorrow from the Stewart funeral home. She died Thursday morning. Buried will be in Woodlawn cemetery.


©2000-2022 Site design and database indices, Dalton Genealogical Society.
Contents have been provided by the Dalton Genealogical Society, its members and independent contributors. It is the onus of the user to verify the data.