Daltons in Brooklyn Daily Eagle 1880 - 1902


Researched, complied & edited by Rodney G. Dalton.

The Brooklyn Daily Eagle was published from October 26, 1841 to 1955 and was revived for a short time from 1960 to 1963.


(search this page, highlight and jump to the results)




Sunday, February 16, 1902

Row Resulted and Two Brothers Were Arrested.

A lively row was started in the apartments of Charles H. Dalton, at 108 Havemeyer St. Friday night because it is alleged one of the neighbors made it is alleged one of the neighbors made eyes at a young married women who was visiting them. The glances, it is said, were directed at Mrs. Julia Plaff, who lives at 327 South Fourth Street, and the guilty person was Charles Keller, who with his brother William, lives in apartments above. From accounts given by the Dalton family Keller first appeared in quest of a mop. He was told by Dalton that they did not possess one, but instead of retiring hr remained.

Monday, November 25, 1901

It Followed Mrs. Dreyer's Written Statement That She Acted Hastily

George W. Dalton, a real estate dealer of East Nineteenth street, who was arrested some time since on the complaint of Mrs. Caroline L. Dreyer, who charged him with having taken money from her to satisfy a mortgage, which he had not done, and who, upon arraignment before Magistrate Dooley on last Thursday, was discharged, called at the Eagle office today. Mr. Dalton stated that the complainant had made a written withdrawal of the charge, and had declared that she had acted hastily in making the charge against him. for the return of the money or the payment of the 2-1/2 per cent interest, either in person or by attorney. He said that the women had also expressed regret at causing him any humiliation or annoyance, and that the court had indorsed the papers "Honorably discharged."

Tuesday, July 09, 1901

Police Asked to Look for 14 Year Old Rosie Dalton

Rosie Dalton, 14 years old, has been missing from her home, 75 Union street, since July 2 and her parents have asked the police to look out for her. She was last seen by her parents at 8 o'clock on the morning of that day. he wore a green dress, a red waist and a red straw hat. She is tall for her age, very slim, has a pale complexion, dark eyes, jet black hair, which she wore braided. She attended the public school in Degraw street, near Smith. Was obedient to her parent's and was not inclined to be wayward.

Monday, January 14, 1901

Mrs. Dalton Says Her Husband Is Systematically Trying to Starve Her.

Magistrate Bristow in the Butler street court, today, held Joseph Dalton, 43 years old, who is said to be a bookmaker, in bail of $400 on two charges, one of disorderly conduct and the other of abandonment. They were both preferred by Dalton's wife. Mrs. Lizzie Dalton of 79 Sterling place. Mrs. Dalton in explaining her charges to the court, said that her husband struck her on the head and that four months ago he started to systematically starve her. She had suffered in consequence therefore all the pangs of hunger. Although living with him she had not had sufficient to eat. If it had not been for members of her family, she did now know how she would have survive.

Monday, December 24, 1900

Henry Dalton Charged With Attempted Burglary

Henry Dalton, 34 years old, of 356 Wythe avenue, was captured after a lively chase this morning by Policeman Fitzgerald of the Bedford avenue station, after he and another man, whose identity he declines to divulge, had attempted to force an entrance into the butcher shop of Henry Fridman, at Wythe avenue and South Fifth street. Policeman Fitzgerald was on special duty when he saw the two men. At the time the other man was hoisting Dalton up to the fanlight and when they saw the policeman both ran. Fitzgerald pursed Dalton and finally caught him at the granite anchorage of the new East River Bridge, at Kent avenue and South Fifth street, and placed him under arrest. He was arraigned later before Magistrate Kramer in the Lee avenue court on a charge of attempted burglary and held for examination.

Monday, November 29, 1897

Three Men Asphyxiated by Gas From the Locomotives.

Port Huron, Mich., November 29.

Asphyxiation caused the death of three men in the Grand Truck Railway tunnel last night.

The dead are: Henry J. Courtney, engineer of tunnel engine: Arthur Dunn, conductor: John Dalton, brakeman.

A train, which was being hauled through the Canadian side, broke in two. The engine backed down to get the detached portion of the train, but for hours nothing was heard of the crew. Finally a searching party found the dead bodies and also rescued William Dunn, fireman, and William Potter, brakeman, in an unconscious condition. Three members of the searching party were also overcome but were later rescued by another party. The tunnel gas arises from the hard coal used by the locomotives.

Saturday, March 19, 1898

Hugh Dalton, 59 years old, of 380 Cumberland street, was thrown from his wagon on Sixth avenue, near Flatbush, at 5:30 o'clock last evening and sustained a lacerated wound of the right ear and a contusion of the scalp.

Sunday, November 14, 1897

Email Dalton, aged 15 years and residing on Thirty-fourth street, near Grand, a messenger boy attached to the American District office in Flatbush, was thrown from a Flatbush avenue car at Flatbush avenue and Avenue A last night and had his collar bone broken, beside being badly bruised. His injuries were attended by Dr, Applgate and he was removed to his home.

Sunday, May 15, 1898

An Innocent Man Locked Up for Stealing.

Henry Dalton, aged 31 years, of 5 Sands street, was locked up in the Bergen street station yesterday morning and was later sent to jail on a commitment from Magistrate Bristow, on a charge of having stolen $145 from the residence of Margaret Callanham at 31 St, Marks place.

Mrs. Callahan said that she had hired the man to put up a cloths line in the yard in the rear of her home and she declared that he had stolen the money from a table in the dinning room, through which he had passed on his way to the yard. Dalton stoutly denied the accusation and declared that he had not seen the money.

Tuesday, August 10, 1897

Joseph Dalton pleaded not guilty in the Butler Street Police Court this morning to a charge of cruelly preferred by Mrs. F. Francis Partridge of 166 Forty-fifth street. Mrs. Partridge charged the man with having cruelly beaten a horse. The case was adjourned.

Wednesday, June 16, 1897

Police Say They Have a Once Famous Bond Forger - Implicated by Dalton's Confession.

Daniel D. Noble, who, according to former Superintendent Byrne's book was at one time the leader of the most notable and at the same time most dangerous band of bond forgers and bank burglars in the world, was arrested by Detectives Vallely and O'Connor of Captain O'Brien's staff at the corner of Sixty-third street and the Western Boulevard, New York, last night, on the confession of Jim Dalton, who is now in the Tombs awaiting trial for the robbery of Messenger Hildebrand of Ringler's Brewery, at Ninety-second street and Third avenue, on September 9, 1896. of a satchel containing several thousand dollar.

Monday, March 30, 1896

John Dalton was arraigned before Judge Harriman abandonment. His wife, Mary Dalton lives with her people at 98 Furman street. The couple have been married for seven or eight years. They have had no children. Dalton was arrested and tried about nine month's ago, June 27, and held in bonds to pay $4 a week. He went jail in default. his wife relented when the bars closed behind and begged for his release. The man promised to pay his wife alimony, and did so up to the last holidays when the payments ceased. He was pulled out of bed in a furnished room at 97 Mangin street, New York by Charities Officer Short yesterday.

Tuesday, September 22, 1896

A barefooted little chap, who gave his name as John Dalton of 505 Baltic street, aged 8 years, was found by Policeman John Burns stealing rides on the Fifth avenue cars this morning and taken to the Fort Hamilton station house. The little fellow had one of his feet badly cut.

Tuesday, September 22, 1896

Dalton Held for Assault - His Wife May Die.

Luke Dalton, 33 years old, of 12 Butler street, was arraigned before Justice Tighe this morning on a charge that may be changed to murder before the next appearance of the man at the Butler street court. He was arrested on Saturday afternoon for assaulting his wife by knocking her down and kicking her until several of her ribs were broken. They quarreled on Saturday afternoon and the assault resulted. Mr. Dalton was taken to St. Peter's hospital and may die of her wounds. Dalton said that his wife was a bad woman to deal with and had often assaulted him. He came home from his work on the day he was arrested and found no dinner had been prepared for him and there was none to be had. He simply threatened to leave the house, he said, and she gave his wife a push which made her fall against the bureau and her ribs were broken in that way. He was held for examination on the 29th. Meantime the four little children of the couple are depending upon neighbors for support and care.

Wednesday, February 26, 1896

A young woman giving the name of Lizzie Dalton, aged 22, was attacked on Franklin avenue, near Prospect park, Windsor terrace, yesterday afternoon. She was but a short distance from the park, on her way to Flatbush, when she was approached by a stranger who caught her by the arm and then struck her in the face. She broke away from him and ran screaming to the waiting room of the Coney Island railroad, where she told her story to Starter Ryan, who summoned the police. A search was made but the assailant was not captured.

Thursday, January 30, 1896

James Dalton, one of the old Coney Island policeman, who was appointed on the regular force Monday, found that the duties of a real policeman were too arduous and he resigned yesterday. He was assigned to the Fort Hamilton precinct on a patrol wagon. His request was promptly refused and he resigned at once.

Sunday, September 29, 1895

London, September 28.

The steamer Dalton, from New York, is ashore on the west coast of Islay, one of the larger islands of the Inner Hebrides, and it is feared that she will be a total loss. The crew have been taken off in safety.

The British steamer Dalton, Captain Barton, sailed from New York on September 14 for Glasgow. She was built at Hebburn, England, in 1881, is a screw steamer of 2,080 tons gross and 1,255 net register; 813.4 feet long, 34.9 feet beam and 24.9 feet deep. Liverpool is her hailing port.

Friday, September 08, 1893

Mary Dalton, who is 21 years old, has been missing for twenty-four hours from her home at 204 York street. The young woman is slightly demented and for some time has occasioned much anxiety to her people. She escaped from their vigilance yesterday and now they are very anxious to know what has become of her. She is 5 feet 6 inches in height, has dark brown hair, large eyes and wore, when she disappeared, a black dress of China silk, yellow slippers and black stockings.

Monday, August 14, 1893

Shortly before 12 o'clock last night, a Tenth precinct policeman was sent to the house at 49 Carroll street, where Ellen Dalton was found suffering from the effects of an assault alleged to have been committed by her husband, Luke. She was removed by Ambulance Surgeon Bogart to the Seney hospital and the husband was locked up. Four small children were cared for by other tenants in the house until this morning, when they were taken in charge by the children's society.

Thursday, November 10, 1892

Further testimony was taken this morning before Surrogate Abbott in the contest being waged over the will of the late Michael Dalton, who was injured by a falling tree in Prospect park on September 26. The will offered for probate was made in favor of his wife a few hours after the accident. The contestants are Mrs. Ann Farrell and Mrs. Mary J. McCann, children by the first wife of the deceased was not mentally capable of making a will at the time.

This morning Mrs. Ellen M. Bryan of 117 India street, testified that she called at the house after the accident and found Mr. Dalton all right mentally. The witness said that some years ago she had heard Mrs. Farrell ask the deceased to visit her and he refused. The witness also told Mr. Dalton on another occasion that he did not treat his daughter, Mrs. McCann, as he should. He replied that he had not called upon her since her marriage, and then added: "All the Daltons are dark people and nothing can change them. D stands for dangerous and dark, and the Daltons are dark."

Monday, December 14, 1885

Mrs. Jennie Dalton, who lies at 238 Harrison street, appeared in the Butler street Police Court this morning, against her husband, Archibald Dalton, whom she charged with assaulting her. The couple have been married some years and are very respectable looking people. The case was adjourned for trial until the 18th

Friday, May 08, 1891

Arthur T. Mart Asserts That the Accused Tried to Steal a Diamond Pin. The Prisoner Claims That He Can Prove an Alibi.

At the Grand avenue station of the Kings county elevated railway this morning Arthur T. Mart of 107 Herkimer street called upon Patrolman Parsons of the central office to arrest Patrick H. Dalton of 758 Bergen street, a fellow passenger, whom he accused of attempting to steal his diamond pin at the ferry station about 5 o'clock on Wednesday night. Dalton was apparently very much astonished at his arrest, but he went quietly to the Adams street court, where a charge of attempted larceny was preferred against him by Mart. The latter, in his statement to Justice Walsh said: "While I was crossing Fulton ferry on Wednesday evening, Dalton and a companion stood near me. The companion appeared to be intoxicated and occasaily lurched against me. Most of the time, however, Dalton stood between us. On the platform of the car the same thing was repeated, but as the train started, Dalton and his companion disappeared. Then a brakeman and two passengers whose names I do not know, told me that they saw Dalton working at my scarf pin. I looked and the pin was gone, but I afterward found it between my shirt and vest. I am positive in my identification of Dalton."

The prisoner promptly pleaded not guilty and was held in $1,000 bail for examination on May 12. He had not been in custody an hour before ex-Alderman Daniel O'Connell, who was summoned, came to court and gave bonds for his appearance at the required time

Monday, December 31, 1888

Thomas Dalton, of 218 Freeman street, Seven-teeth Ward, while intoxicated yesterday attempted to cross the street at Manhattan and Greenpoint avenues, when he was knocked down by a coach driven by Christopher Cassidy, of 216 East Twenty-sixth street, New York. In the fall Dalton received an ugly scalp wound. He was assisted to the Seventh Precinct Station, which is a few feet from the scene of the accident, and the driver was arrested by Officer Shields. When the prisoner was taken before Sergeant Reid, who was behind the desk, he was allowed to go. After Dalton's injuries were dressed by Ambulance Surgeon Freel, of the Eastern District Hospital, he was placed in a cell on a charge of intoxication.

Saturday, December 19, 1885

Young Archie Dalton, the 19year old Benedict who was arrested on complaint of his young wife, a month ago, charged with assault, was dismissed from custody this morning, as his wife withdrew the charge,. They have settled their difficulties and peace reigns once more in their cozy home, in Degraw street, near Hoyt.

Wednesday, June 01, 1887

A Very Cool Proceeding.

Trying to Sell Cigars to the Man They Were Stolen From.

Michael Dalton's saloon at the corner of Third avenue and President street, was entered on Monday night and the intruders carried away a few bottles of whisky and sixteen boxes of cigars. The money drawer had been broken open, but as it was empty the thieves got nothing for their pains.

Yesterday afternoon a middle aged women under the influence of liquor called on Mr. Dalton and offered to sell him a box of cigars which the saloon keeper recognized as part of the lot which had been stolen from him. He asked her where she had got them and she replied that her husband, who lived at 508 President street, had made them. Mr. Dalton told the woman to go home and he would call on her in the evening. Instead of doing so he went o the Bergen street Station and accrued the services of Detectives Reynolds and Curran, who accompanied him to the house in President street. In the basement they found the woman who wanted to sell the cigars, Mrs. Annie Bird, her son John Bird, James Comerford and his wife Annie Comerford, a daughter of Annie Bird, and Henry Ryan. All were more of less under the influence of liquor. Hidden in a closet were Mr. Dalton's sixteen boxes of cigars and one bottle of whisky. All the parties were arrested and arraigned before Judge Walsh today, who remembered them for examination. There was found in the house also a trunk marked "John Cryne, Castle Garden. Pass to New York. heck L, 663. 469 Dean street, Brooklyn."

Sunday, June 21, 1885

Fall Rivers, Mass., June 20.

This morning Edward Dalton, Richard Casey and John Murphy were arraigned for manslaughter in causing the death of Mrs. Ann Dalton, who was found dead in bed yesterday. They all pleaded not guilty and were held in $1,000 each for hearing on Wednesday morning next. Mary T. O'Connell was held in $500 as a witness. Minnie Grandfield was held on her own recognizance as a witness.

Sunday, January 11, 1885

Chicago, Ill., January 10.

James H. Dalton today placed $100 forfeit money in the hands of the proprietor of the Chicago theatrical and sporting journal, accompanying a challenge to fight Dominick McCaffrey, of Pittsburg, with bare knuckles, London prize ring rules, within twenty miles of Louisville of New Orleans.

Tuesday, November 23, 1880

Yesterday the examination of Caleb Dalton and Peter Mead, charged with the murder of Louis Schmitt, was continued before Justice Capen, in Amityville. Mr. Martin's cross examination was continued. He admitted having said to the prisoners that he did not believe they committed the murder, but that they knew who did. He would not swear that either Hegeman, Dalton or Mead committed the murder, Mrs. Martin had no idea who committed the murder. Townsend Wright, proprietor of the hotel at the depot, who was foreman of the coroner's jury, testified that Schmitt went away from Amityville on the morning of June 30 by train, and returned between six and seven in the evening on Martin's farm. There were no new facts developed yesterday.

©2000-2022 Site design and database indices, Dalton Genealogical Society.
Contents have been provided by the Dalton Genealogical Society, its members and independent contributors. It is the onus of the user to verify the data.