The Reverend John Neale Dalton - Canon of Windsor

 

Researched, complied & edited by Rodney G. Dalton from various sources on the World Wide Web. Sources are from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Google images search. Other sources are not listed. All copy written material is the property of the owner and is not to be used for commercial use. This article is for private use only.

John Neale Dalton was born on 24th September 1839 at Margate in Kent. He was the son of the Reverend John Neale Dalton and Elisa Maria Allies.

 


Michael Dalton of the DGS points to the Chapter Room window with Canon Dalton's Coat of Arms. This stained glass window is in the Chapter Room in St. George Chapel at Windsor Castle in Windsor, England.

 

 

 

 

Extract from "The Dalton Book" by Frances Edith Leaning (nee Dalton), a first cousin once removed of the Canon, who attended his funeral service in St George's Chapel:

 

On Monday evening, July 27, 1931, Canon Dalton read the second lesson in St George's Chapel; on Tuesday morning the tolling of the Castle bell announced his sudden death. He had appeared in normal health and quite cheerful the previous evening, and the long obituary notice in the Times ends one paragraph with the words "an ideal ending to a wonderful old age". His remains were cremated at Woking on Thursday, and the ashes interred in St George's Chapel on Friday, the 31st, in the presence of a great concourse. The King and Queen were represented, the Mayor of Windsor was there, the Military Knights of the Order, the Master and Members of the Court of the Drapers' Company, and many others. I was fortunate in obtaining a seat in the Choir, and was struck by seeing for the first time funeral wreaths in all the most brilliant colours. They completely covered the stretch of turf outside the Chapel. The service varied from the Prayer Book by being full of music, Psalms 133 and 146, and special and beautiful sentences after the Lesson, concluding with a hymn.

 

Source: Daltons in History, Volume 11 No 10, October 2008

 

Family:

 

In 1886, Dalton married Catherine ("Kitty") Alicia Evan Thomas of Neath; their son was Hugh Dalton, later a prominent politician.

 

Children:

 

Edward Hugh John Neale Dalton (1887-1962) Become Lord Dalton in 1960. Was Chancellor of the Exchequer 1945-1947 and served in Parliament.

 

Alexandia Mary Dalton (1891)

 

Daltons brothers were:

 

Rev. William Edward Dalton (1841-1928), Vicar of Glynde, Sussex.

Sir Cornelius Neale Dalton (1842-1920), Comptroller-General of the UK Intellectual Property Office.

 

Benjamin Nichols Dalton (1848-1895)

James Neale Dalton (1851)

 

Sisters:

 

Mary (1843)

Eliza Maria Dalton (1845-1938)

Hanna Neale Dalton (1847)

Elizabeth (1854)

 

Dalton was godfather to the surgeon Sir Alfred Downing Fripp.

 

Dalton was descended from the Neale family, from whom strong family naming is evident:

 

James Neale, b. ~1760

Hannah Neale, his daughter, b. 1784 who married John Dalton.

 

His sons:

 

Benjamin Neale, b. 1786

Samuel Neale, b. 1788

Cornelius Neale, b. 1789

John Mason Neale, b. 1818, son of Cornelius.

 

John Neale Dalton

(1839-1931) Canon of Windsor Antiquary Liturgical Scholar

 

1883-1931: correspondent and papers

St George's Chapel Archives and Chapter Library

Reference : HMC

NRA 38539 Windsor

 

1903-17: letters to him relative to his "Collegiate , Church of Ottery St Mary"

Lambeth Palace Library

Reference : MS 1680

 

1872-1929: letters from Edward Carpenter, Patrick MacGill , and Sydney Waterlow

Oxford University: Worcester College Library

Reference : Accessions 1966-67

NRA 10396 Worcester College

 

1884-1903: letters to Sir Henry Babington Smith

Cambridge University: Trinity College Library

Reference : HBS70

NRA 32442 Smith

 

1883-85: letters (10) to Oscar Browning

Cambridge University: King's College Archive Centre

Reference : OB

NRA 21235 Browning

 

1895-1909: letters (7) to FC Hingeston-Randolph

Devon Record Office

Reference : Z19/23/1

NRA 31736 Exeter City L

 

Dalton, John Neale.

College: CLARE

Entered: Michs. 1859

Born: Sept. 24, 1839

Died: July 28, 1931

 

Adm. pens. at CLARE, 1858. S. and h. of John Neale (above), R. of Milton Keynes, Bucks.

 

School, Blackheath Proprietary (Mr Selwyn).

Matric. Michs. 1859;

Scholar; Prizeman; B.A. 1863;

 

M. A. 1866. Hon. LL.D. (Leeds).

 

Migrated to Trinity, June 4, 1883.

 

Ord. deacon, 1865;

priest (Oxford) 1866;

C. of Milton Keynes, 1865-6.

C. of St Edward's, Cambridge, 1866-9.

C. of Whippingham, Isle of Wight, 1869-71.

Select Preacher, 1878.

 

Governor to Edward, Prince of Wales. Appointed tutor to Queen Victoria's grandsons, Prince Albert Victor and Prince George ( afterwards George V), 1871; accompanied them on their world tour in *H.M. S. Bacchante, in which ship he was Chaplain from 1879-82; also attended the Prince and Princess of Wales on their visit to India.

 

Canon and Steward of St George's Chapel, Windsor, 1885-1931.

Deputy Clerk of the Closet, 1897.

Domestic Chaplain to the King, 1910.

 

He was invested as a Companion, Order of St Michael and St George (CMG) in 1881 and Knight Commander, Royal Victorian Order (KCVO) in 1911. In 1920 he was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Laws (LLD) by the University of Leeds.

 

An excellent walker; attributed his splendid physical condition largely to this exercise.

Author, Sermons to Naval Cadets (1879 )

Cruise of H.M.S. Bacchante (1886)

Ordinale Exon., 2 vols. (1908)

The Collegiate Church of Ottery St Mary (1917)

 

Notice in Time Magazine - Aug. 10, 1931:

 

Died. Rev. John Neale Dalton, 91, associated with the British royal family for 60 years; tutor, religious adviser and Domestic Chaplain to King George V; at Windsor Castle, Windsor, England, where he was canon and steward of St. George's Chapel.

 

Dalton married Catherine on 16 January 1886 and their first son Edward Hugh John Neale Dalton was born at home in Glamorgan, August 1887. Hugh Evan-Thomas and prince Edward were his godparents. Their second child, Alexandra Mary, was born 1891, but in accord with Dalton's wish to have had a second son who he could have named after prince George, was nicknamed 'Georgie'.

 

The Rev. lived from 1839-1931, was Canon of Windsor and father of Hugh Dalton, Chancellor of the Exchequer. This line has been charted by the founder and chairman of the DGS and descendent of the Neale Dalton line, Michael Neale Dalton.

 

The Rev. John Neale Dalton was a tutor for sons of King Edward VII.

 

Dalton was appointed curate to Canon George Prothero in the parish of Whippingham on the Isle of Wight in 1869. The church was attended by the royal family when staying at their summer home, Osborne, on the island. Queen Victoria came to know Dalton, and chose him to become tutor to her grandsons, the royal princes George Frederick and his elder brother, Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence. The children were then 6 and 7, and Victoria considered her son, the then prince of Wales Albert Edward, had been neglecting their education. Dalton moved to Windsor castle and continued as their tutor through the next fourteen years.

 

We have only limited information on how the children were taught at Sandringham* They were tutored there rather than attending a school. We know that Prince Eddy was tutored with his younger brother Prince George. Their tutor was John Neale Dalton who was subsequently appointed to be Canon Dalton. As a tutor he was not a conspicuous success, but this may have been m ore the boy's fault than his. The differences between the two were all too apparent at an early age. Prince George was a lively boy of average intelligence. His brother was beyond education. We do not know if the girls were tutored separately or if there was one classroom at Sandringham. Both boys were trained as naval cadets which Prince George did well at. After their Midshipman cruise together, Prince Eddy was sent to Cambridge where he demonstrated no interest or ability in his studies. Prince George enthusiastically pursued his naval career.

 

Dalton was appointed curate to Canon George Prothero in the parish of Whippingham on the Isle of Wight in 1869. The church was attended by the royal family when staying at their summer home, Osborne, on the island. Queen Victoria came to know Dalton, and chose him to become tutor to her grandsons, the royal princes George Frederick and his elder brother, Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence. The children were then 6 and 7, and Victoria considered her son, the then prince of Wales Albert Edward, had been neglecting their education. Dalton moved to Windsor castle and continued as their tutor through the next fourteen years.

 

The younger prince, George, proved the more able and willing to learn. His brother and presumed eventual heir to the throne, Albert Victor, called "Eddy" by the family, was considered backward, lazy and obtuse. It was considered that although George was expected to follow a career in the navy, it would be unwise to separate him from his brother as he was considered a good influence upon him. Accordingly, both boys joined the cadet training ship HMS Britannica in September 1877. Dalton accompanied the boys, sharing a cabin with them while continuing to act as their guardian, and acted as chaplain to the ship. Despite Dalton's presence, the princes (Eddy nicknamed 'Herring' and George 'Sprat') were bullied by other cadets keen to have a go at accessible royalty. One cadet, Hugh Thomas was approved of by Dalton and began a friendship with the princes which continued for some years.

 

 

The first born son of Albert Edward, Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) and Alexandra of Denmark, Prince Albert Victor, but for an accident of fate, would one day have succeeded his father on the throne of Great Britain.

 

 

Prince George Frederick Ernest Albert

Born 3rd June 1865 - Later to become George V

In 1879 training on *Britannia came to end. It was again proposed that Eddy should attend a public school, but Dalton recommended the brothers should remain together. Instead it was arranged that both princes and Dalton should sail on *HMS Bacchante with a crew carefully selected to be a good influence on the boys. The captain, Lord Charles Scott, was a son of the Duke of Buccleuch, while his nephew the future 7th Duke was part of the crew. Other crew were also chosen for their royal connections, as in the case of Hugh Evan-Thomas (surname now officially changed by his father) who was posted to the same watch as the princes. Dalton saw it as his responsibility, despite royal instructions that the princes should be treated 'just like other ordinary midshipmen', to restrict their contact with other members of the crew, shifting away anyone who became too friendly.

 

The tour ended in August 1882, when Dalton and his charges returned with the ship to England. He took with him numerous mementoes of the tour, including the sailor who had been assigned as his servant during the voyage, who continued to work for him ashore for the next 50 years. He also obtained an introduction to Evan-Thomas' sister Catherine, who shortly afterwards agreed to marry him despite being considerably younger.

 

Prince George returned to the navy, but Eddy remained a low achiever and continued a further year intensive tutoring with Dalton in preparation for attending Cambridge university.

 

http://www.setsail.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/dart-river-uk-474.jpg

 

The training ship Britannia - restored

 

In 1892 Prince George briefly assumed command of HMS Melampus during her commissioning and trials. Dalton was invited onboard as George's guest.

*Sandringham is a village and civil parish in the north of the English county of Norfolk. The village is situated some south of the village of Dersingham, north of the town of King's Lynn and north-west of the city of Norwich.

 

The civil parish extends westwards from Sandringham itself to the shore of The Wash some distant, and also includes the villages of West Newton and Wolferton. It has an area of and in 2001 had a population of 402 in 176 households. For the purposes of local government, the parish falls within the district of King's Lynn and West Norfolk.

 

Sandringham is best known as the location of Sandringham House and its associated estate. This is a favoured holiday home of Queen Elizabeth II and several of her predecessors. Near to Sandringham house is the Royal Stud, a stud farm that houses many of the royal horses.

 

Sandringham House

 

Sandringham - The Norfolk home of the Royal Family.

 

At the end of this voyage J. N. D. was made C.M.L.G. and went into residence at Trinity College, Cambridge, as governor to Prince Albert Victor, while Prince George remained in the Navy. However the close personal friendship between J. N. D. and Prince George continued. This tie, began at Dartmouth and on the Bacchante, was strengthened further when J. N. D. accompanied the Prince of Wales on his voyage on the Ophir.

 

In 1884, J. N. D. was appointed by Queen Victoria to a Canonery at Windsor, a post he retained to the end of his life. Here his antiquarian knowledge and his strong and forceful personality quickly gained him a unique position. He studied the history of St. George's, Windsor, its buildings and its traditions, with intense interest. He loved them wholeheartedly, and his appointment by the Chapter to the office of Steward gave him a post of responsibility in regard to the management of finance and the ca re of the fabric which he filled with a dominating vigour and a degree of independence that at times were not without embarrassment for his colleagues of the Chapter. There were moments, and not infrequent moments, w hen his autocratic methods and impatience of discussion made him difficult as a member of a capsular body. Yet he mellowed very noticeably in t he later years of his life, and even at times when differences on points of administration were acute and indeed, on J. N. D.'s part, explosively violent, they could not obliterate his personal charm or destroy the real affection he inspired even in those who had most cause to mistrust h is policy and his methods of achieving it.

 

His sermons were more often interesting for their vigorous delivery than f or their contents. If the latter were somewhat commonplace, every hearer w as impressed by the wonderful voice, ranging from a high falsetto to a thunderous bass, with which the sermon was spoken. And as a reader he h ad no living equal. He loved his Bible, and to hear J. N. D. read one of t he more dramatic passages in St. George's Chapel was an experience indescribable but never to be forgotten. This power seemed scarcely affected by t he passage of the years. Only two months before he died, when over 91 years of age, he discharged the whole duties of his term of residence, read t he sermon at the daily services, and preached on Sundays. On the Saturday before he died he was present in one of his most genial moods at a meeting of the Chapter. On the Monday he attended evensong and read a lesson. That night, having gone to bed, he was suddenly taken ill and die d, an ideal ending to a wonderful old age. That was on 28th July 1931.

 

For many years J. N. D. had spent his brief summer holiday as the guest of King George V, as he by then was, initially at Balmoral and latterly at Sandringham, and he was keenly looking forward to doing the same in 1931. It is not lifting the veil of personal intimacies too far to say that by the passing of his former tutor, King George V lost a friend who h ad a most special place in his affection.

*HMS Bacchante was a Bacchante-class ironclad screw-propelled corvette of the Royal Navy. She is particularly famous for being the ship on which the Princes George and Albert served as midshipmen.

 

Canon Dalton, who acted as their governor on board the Bacchante, says that they were sent to sea chiefly with a view to the mental and moral training that they would receive as midshipmen. No service better inculcates implicit and instant obedience or imbues all subjected to its discipline with a sense of responsibility. Hence the Princes were put through the same routine as everyone else on board. Canon Dalton says:

 

"As long as they were on board ship the Princes were treated exactly like other midshipmen, and performed all the duties which usually fall to their lot. They took their turn in all weathers by day or night at watch-keeping and going aloft, at sail drill or boat duty. There was no difference, not even the slightest of any sort or kind, made between them and their gunroom messmates."

 

 

The Bacchante was built at Portsmouth Dockyard and launched on 19 October 1876, the second ship of the three ship Bacchante class. She was armed with fourteen 7-inch muzzle-loading rifle guns and two 64-pounder torpedo carriages, and rated at 4070 tons.

 

Class and type: Bacchante-class corvette

Name:            HMS Bacchante

Builder: Portsmouth Dockyard

Launched: 19 October 1876

Fate:   Sold for scrap in 1897

General characteristics

Displacement:         4,070 tons

Tons burthen:           2,679 tons

Length: 280 ft (85 m)

Beam:            45.5 ft (13.9 m)

Armament:   

14 × 7-inch (177.8 mm) guns

2 × 64 pound guns

 

The two oldest sons of the Prince of Wales had entered the navy in 1877, and by 1879 it had been decided by the Royal Family and the Government that the two should undertake a cruise. They were assigned to HMS Bacchante, which was then part of a squadron intended to patrol the sea lanes of the British Empire. Queen Victoria was concerned that the Bacchante might sink, drowning her grandchildren. Confident in their ship, the Admiralty sent Bacchante through a gale to prove she was sturdy enough to weather storms. The Princes, with their tutor John Neale Dalton, duly came aboard on 17 September 1879. The Bacchante was to be their home for the next three years. They made a number of cruises to different parts of the Empire with the squadron. Serving aboard the squadron's flagship, HMS Inconstant at this time was their relation, Prince Louis of Battenberg. The squadron initially consisted of HMS Inconstant, Bacchante, Diamond and Topaze, the composition altering during the voyages as ships left, or were joined by new ones.

 

For three years from the royal brothers served as midshipmen on HMS Bacchante, accompanied by Dalton. They toured the colonies of the British Empire in the Caribbean, South Africa and Australia, and visited Norfolk, Virginia, as well as South America, the Mediterranean, Egypt, and the Far East. In Japan, George had a local artist tattoo a blue and red dragon on his arm. Dalton wrote an account of their journey entitled The Cruise of HMS Bacchante. Between Melbourne and Sydney, Dalton records a sighting of the Flying Dutchman, a mythical ghost ship. When they returned to Britain, the brothers were separated; Albert Victor attended Trinity College, Cambridge, while George continued in the Royal Navy. He travelled the world, visited many areas of the British Empire, and served actively until his last command in 1891.

The Bacchante visited the Mediterranean and the West Indies, followed by later voyages to South America, South Africa, Australia, China and Japan.

 

The Princes made regular diary entries, which were later published as two volumes in 1886 as The Cruise of Her Majesty's Ship Bacchante. Bacchante briefly assisted in the First Boer War, before the squadron sailed again for Australia. Shortly after reaching the coast on 12 May, a heavy storm blew up and when it had abated, the Bacchante was missing. After three days searching, news reached the squadron that Bacchante had had her rudder disabled, but had been able to reach safety at Albany.

 

Excerpts from the book King Kaiser Tsar-Three Royal cousins who let the World to War; by Catrine Clay.

 

“The boys education was another case where Berti held his own counsel. Although he had promised to address this vexed subject, he and Alexandra failed to do anything about it until Eddy was eight and Georgie was six. Only then did they come to an agreement with Queen Victoria, appointing the Reverend John Neale Dalton as the boys tutor. Dalton had been spotted by Queen Victoria at Whippingham parish church near Osbourne, where he was a curate. He was a bachelor of thirty-two, with a First Class Honours degree in Theology from Cambridge, and although not in the same league as Willy’s tutor Dr. Hinzpeter when it same to pedantic instruction, he nevertheless believed in the Victorian virtues of self-discipline and hard work. He was the boys tutor for fourteen years, spending a good ten hours a day in their company. But unlike Hinzpeter, he not only attempted to teach his two charges, he also played with them. When George V looked back on those years he remembers games of bow-and-arrows with Dalton running around in the bushes pretending to be a deer. In the afternoons they went riding, in winter skating, and in the summer they played cricket or lawn tennis.

 

Dalton was a kind man, and fair, but strict enough to keep the two “ill-bred, ill-trained children,” as Queen Victoria described them, at their work. When Dalton was away on holidays, he wrote to the boys regularly, and the letters always included some amusement along with comments about their spelling or their grammar. In later years Georgie kept in touch with him, writing to him often, and always expressing a real affection for his former tutor.

 

Having been chosen by the Queen, Dalton sent her regular progress reports. “The two little Princes ride on ponies for an hour each alternate morning in the week, and take a walk on the other three days in the afternoon. Also their Royal Highnesses take exercise on foot” he reported dutifully from Sandringham in 1874. “As regards the studies, the writing, reading and arithmetic are all progressing favorably; the music, spelling, English history, Latin, geography, and French all occupy a due share of their Royal Highnesses attention.” This might have been putting a gloss on things; neither of the princes was very bright. Prince Eddy was the worse, with a great problem of concentration and odd lethargy which combined to make him distinctly backward. Georgie in comparison was happily average, “always merry and rosy” as his grandmother put it. It was generally agreed that the only thing which helped Eddy was working alongside Georgie - though Georgie himself could be difficult at times, as Dalton noted in his Journal of Weekly Work in September 1876: Prince G. this week has been much troubled by silly fretfulness of temper and general spirit of contradiction. Otherwise work with me has been up to the usual average.” The boys were not Dalton’s only problem: he had trouble stopping the Prince and Princess of Wales from interrupting lessons. Being entirely un-academic themselves, they found it hard to take the business of education seriously.

 

Georgie’s early years were spent mostly at Sandringham, and always with Eddy. The boys joined the rest of the family for short periods at Marlbogh House, and at Osborne Cottage on the Isle of Wight during the summer, where they sailed, swam and caught crabs, all of which they related with delight in letters to Dalton.

 

By 1875 Georgie and Eddy, now ten, and almost twelve, were still spending most of their time at Sandringham receiving what turned out to be a rather basic education from the Reverend Mr. Dalton. In 1877, Georgie turned twelve and Eddy fourteen. The time had come for the next stage in their education. Georgie was always bound for a career in the Royal Navy. Queen though Wellington College a good idea for Eddy, but Dalton, who was always firm in his views on the boy’s education, stepped forward, arguing that, given Eddy’s problems and the boy’s affection for one another, they should not be separated.

 

Queen Victoria was not convinced. “They position (if they lived) will be totally different and it is not intended that they should both enter the Navy,” she wrote. “The very rough sort of life to which the boys are exposed on board ship is the very thing not calculated to make a refined and amiable Prince, who in after years (if God spares him) is to ascend the throne.” It was all right for Georgie, the second son, but not for Eddy, the future heir. The Prince of Wales agreed with Dalton and applied his well-practiced tactic in dealing with his mother, suggesting they might try it ‘as an experiment’ and see how they got on. On this basis Queen Victoria was prepared to agree, and in September 1877 both boys joined the training ship Britannia, Georgie as a bona fide cadet, Eddy as an also-ran.

 

The Britannia, anchored on the river Dart in Devon, was an old ship with few comforts. The two princes arrived on board accompanied by their tutor, Dalton.

 

“It is impossible that two lads could be in more robust health or happier than the two princes are,” Dalton wrote to Queen Victoria, showing that however clear-sighted he might be at home, on board ship he was blind as a bat. He added, somewhat wryly, and presumably in response to some query from the Queen: ”Their studies also progress favorurably.

 

 

The brothers were parted in 1883; George continued in the navy and Albert Victor attended Trinity College, Cambridge. James Kenneth Stephen was appointed as a tutor and lived partly at Sandringham during his tutorship, along with Dalton who was still in attendance both at Sandringham and at Trinity.

 

Some notes about Canon Dalton:

 

The Duke of Windsor writes in Life Magazine about his childhood tutoring by Canon Dalton- Dec 8, 1947:

 

At Frogmore the formidable Canon Dalton of St. George’s Chapel, who had been my father’s tutor in the Navy, would stride down the hill to lecture us on the scriptures, in a voice that boomed like Big Ben. It is a fascinating commentary upon flexibility of British society that this man who played so influential a part in molding the character of a royal prince should have produced under the shadows of Windsor Castle a son, Hugh Dalton, who was until recently the Chancellor of the Exchequer of a Socialist government.

 

A Pilgrimage to the Shrine of St. Teresa de Jesus, at Alba de Tormes and Avila, &c. By the Rev. Canon Dalton. London : Catholic Publishing Society, 1873.

 

Canon Dalton has already done much towards increasing, in England, a devotion to St. Teresa. He has now added a considerable item towards it in his graphic account of his visits to those parts of Spain which are more especially sacred to her clients. He passed through Medina del Campo, where he visited the second convent founded by St. Teresa, and revered some of her relics; he beheld also, in passing, the ruins of the Jesuit College of which her director, Father Baltazar Alvarez, was for many years rector. It was at Medina del Campo that the saint first met St. John of the Cross. At Salamanca, Canon Dalton visited a convent of the saint's foundation, though it was not the house of which she first took possession. This he likewise inspected. At Alba de Tormes, in addition to a sight of the holy relics of the saint, Canon Dalton had the privilege of entering the enclosure of her monastery there. He gives us a touching account of his admission to the oratory leading to the shrine wherein reposes the body of St. Teresa. It is magnificently adorned, but we can believe that an ardent devotion would overpower other sentiments. On leaving this holy spot, he was conducted to one scarcely less interesting, the cell in which she died, in the arms of Anne of St Bartholomew. This cell seems only seven feet in length and five in breadth, but it has no longer the appearance of a nun's lowly chamber, being transformed into a beautiful little oratory.

 

In the same modest volume, Canon Dalton gives details of his stay at Avila, a place quite redolent of the memories of St. Teresa. Here was the mansion inhabited by her parents; the room in which she was born being now a beautiful oratory, and enriched, of course, with several of her relics. Next may be seen the Monastery of the Incarnation, where many points of interest await the devout pilgrim. Though we have not space to give his narrative, few could read it without a longing to trace the same path. Then a visit to the Convent of St. Joseph was the crowning favour of this pious tour. Canon Dalton describes other objects of note, but they are remarkable in a very different sense, and we cannot now dwell upon them.. But we are persuaded that no one will read his Pilgrimage without an increase of love and devotion to the saint whose life is thus so vividly recalled to mind.

 

Canon Dalton is described by contemporary writers as most amiable, zealous, and charitable, and a favorite with all creeds and classes. Among his numerous works translated from the Spanish are the following: "Life of St. Teresa" (London, 1851); "The Interior Castle, or the Mansions" (London, 1852-53); "The Way of Perfection" (London, 1852); "The Letters of St. Teresa" (London, 1853); "The Book of the Foundations" (London, 1853), etc. He also published translations from Latin and German, including "The Life of Cardinal Ximenes" from the German Bishop Von Hefele (London, 1860).

 

This book was wrote by Canon Dalton:

 

Church of England, The Book of Common Prayer: An edition containing proposals and suggestions compiled by John Neale Dalton, Canon of Windsor (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1920).

 

The "Order for the Burial of the Dead" in the Book of Common Prayer we can see an early theological view of the "cycle of life." Drawing on St. John, the Order begins: "I am the resurrection and the life saith the Lord: he that believeth on me, though he die, yet shall he live: and whosoever liveth and believeth on me shall never die." (St. John II 25, 26.) When the burial procession comes to the grave and the body is prepared to be laid into the earth, the Priest shall say "Man that is born of a woman hath but a short time to live and is full of misery ... In the midst of life we are in death." While the earth shall be cast upon the body, the Priest shall say "Forasmuch as it hath pleased Almighty God of his wise providence to take unto himself the soul of our dear departed, we therefore commit his body to the ground; earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust; in sure and certain hope of the Resurrection to eternal life."

 

 

 

File:Windsor Castle from the air.jpg

 

Windsor Castle and St. George Chapel

Windsor is about 900 years old, with construction beginning in 1070 with William the Conqueror. Over time the Castle has evolved, and even today is still a principle home of the English Royal Family.

Windsor is surrounded by parks, and was a favorite home of Henry VIII. he often spent time there, especially when hunting.

St. George's Chapel was begun by Edward IV in 1475. Henry VIII buried his third wife, Jane Seymour, here and was himself buried here upon his death.

Windsor Castle, in Windsor in the English county of Berkshire, is the largest inhabited castle in the world and, dating back to the time of William the Conqueror, is the oldest in continuous occupation. The castle's floor area is approximately 484,000 square feet.

 

Together with Buckingham Palace in London and Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh, it is one of the principal official residences of the British monarch. Queen Elizabeth II spends many weekends of the year at the castle, using it for both state and private entertaining. Her other two residences, Sandringham House and Balmoral Castle, are the Royal Family's private homes.

Most of the Kings and Queens of England, later Kings and Queens of Great Britain, and later still kings and queens of the United Kingdom and the other Commonwealth realms, have had a direct influence on the construction and evolution of the castle, which has been their garrison fortress, home, official palace, and sometimes their prison. Chronologically the history of the castle can be traced through the reigns of the serfs who have occupied it. When the country has been at peace, the castle has been expanded by the additions of large and grand apartments; when the country has been at war, the castle has been more heavily fortified. This pattern has continued to the present day.

Review by John Neale Dalton - Canon of Windsor

 

REVIEW

 

The Collegiate Church of Ottery St. Mary; by John Neale Dalton, Canon of Windsor.

All persons acquainted with the beautiful church of Ottery St. Mary, near Sidmouth, in Devonshire, will understand readily why so learned a student of Church history as Canon J. N. Dalton should have devoted twenty years of study and research to the history of this church.

Ottery was dissolved in 1545n by King Henry VIII and a large part of its endowments transferred to the College of St. George at Windsor, it is Bishop Grandisson whose sprit still pervades this great church, in which the Bishop’s effigy looks down from the central boss in the vaulting of the nave. Canon Dalton points out many asociations in their early history between the collegiate foundations at Ottery and at Windsor. Bishop Grandisson’s sister, Katherine, wife of William de Montacute, first Earl of Salisbury, was the lady whose name is usually connected with the story of the founding of the Order of the Garter by King Edward III; it is interesting to note that Canon Dalton, who has special opportunities for knowledge of the early history of this Order, evidently inclines to support of this tradition, although modern historians are disposed to attribute the honour of this anecdote to Joan, the Fair Maid of Kent, the betrothed wife of Katherine Grandisso’s son, the second Earl of Salisbury.

 

Apart from the its architectural interest the church of St. Mary at Ottery has suffered so many vicissitudes that its interest to historians and students of art has become somewhat fragmentary. Canon Dalton has evidently been conscious of his own preference for study of documents than for architecture and other branches of the Fine Arts. He is content to give He is content to give a lucid history of the church, relying on the admirable illustrations which accompany his text. It is notorious that this famish church was erected by Bishop Grandisson on the model of his Episcopal church at Exeter, or rather superimposed on the foundation of the church built by Bishop Bronescombe in 1259, some portions of which were absorbed into Bishop’s Grandisson’s new church, which was transformed from a parish into a collegiate church. Canon Dalton is a safe guide through all the history of this change, and he justly remarks that this church is unsurpassed among other churches of its size for the majestic austerity of its design and the admirable simplicity of its construction. We should like to take our readers on a circuit of interest, such as the two transept towers, a at Exeter; the

 

Lancet windows, without tracery or hood mouldings; the Lady Chapel, as an addition to the original plan; the consecration crosses, the heraldry, and other matters, all fully described by the author. His first great departure from the simplicity of the design was due to the north aisle added by the great lady, Cecily Lady Bonville, wife successively of Thomas Grey, Marquees of Dorset, and Henry Stafford, Earl of Wiltshire. This lady, who died in 1530, was, as Canon Dalton points out, with her direct issue closely related to three reigning kings of England and four queens. She was present at the inauguration in 1476 of the Chapel of St. George at Windsor Castle. And it is not surprising to find that the aisle added by her to the church at Ottery is in the same style as that used for the chapel at Windsor. At the dissolution of the college in 1567 the buildings fell into the destructive hands of the Protector Somerset, but it was reserved for much later generations to destroy or deface much which remained of the pristine beauty of the interior. Canon Dalton deals rather too tenderly with the injuries done to this church by the removal of the rood screen, the further mutilation of the redoes in the name of restoration, and the remodeling of the of the south transept by the late Lord Coleridge in 1850.

 


The Collegiate Church of Ottery St. Mary near Sidmouth, in Devonshire

 

 

Believe it or not this handwriting is of Rev. John Neale Dalton that is for sale on E-Bay for $39.99