The story of a Dalton family - From England to America

Researched, complied & edited from the World Wide Web by Rodney G. Dalton



John Dalton was born June 02, 1800 in England, emigrated to America with his parents William and Mary Dalton, and settled near Ogdenburg, St. Lawrence County, New York. His obituary says he arrived in 1824; other sources point to his arrival with his parents about 1808. He married Ellen Waddell in New York before 1827. She emigrated from Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland in 1820 with her parents George and Margaret Anderson Waddell. John and Ellen lived for seventeen years on a farm in St. Lawrence County, New York before moving their family to Delavan County, Wisconsin in the spring of 1844. Together John and Ellen had ten children all born in New York.



Ogdenburg is located on the St. Lawrence River, across the river from Prescott in Grenville County, Ontario. Ogdensburg was the first white settlement in the wilderness that became northern New York State. In 1748, the French Abbe Francis Piquet, a Sulpician missionary, arrived to establish Fort La Presentation and a mission. Located at the confluence of the St. Lawrence and Oswegatchie Rivers, the fort served as church, school, trading post, Indian village, and citadel.


John Dalton and family moves from Ogdensburg to Wisconsin:


John and Ellen Dalton were among the early settlers of the Delavan area of Walworth County, Wisconsin in about 1844 (near the Illinois border). The "History of Walworth County," indicates that they arrived there in 1842 and that a G.W. Dalton arrived in 1844.


A James Dwire and John Dalton of Walworth County, Wisconsin Territory received a land grant for 80 acres on March 25, 1841. There was a second John Dalton in Walworth County, Wisconsin in 1837, who most likely was the recipient of the 1841 land grant.

Note: This second John Dalton is John Dalton Jr. great-great uncle of Rodney G. Dalton.


The Delavan Republican, Thursday, January 13, 1876.

"A painful, and perhaps fatal, accident occurred to the aged couple who two months ago celebrated their golden wedding, Mr. and Mrs. John Dalton. They had been on a visit to their son-in-law, Wm. Redford, and were returning Tuesday afternoon, with their son, Henry Dalton, when near the residence of Thomas Williams, the back seat, on which they were riding, became detached in some manner, turned backwards, and threw the unfortunate pair backwards to the ground. Their injuries are very severe, and they now lie in a very precarious condition at the residence of Mr. Thomas Williams." Unfortunately, Ellen Waddell Dalton died from her injuries on January 13, 1876.


John Dalton died in Delavan January 19, 1887. He is buried in Old Pioneer Cemetery, East Delevan, Wisconsin.


OBITUARY: John Dalton, "The Delavan Enterprise," Wednesday, January 19, 1887.

"Mr. John Dalton, who departed this life January 5th, 1887, was born in England the 2nd day of June 1800, and was therefore 86 years, 6 months and 26 days old. In 1824 he came to the United States and settled at Ogdensburg, St. Lawrence county, New York, where he formed the acquaintance of Miss Ellen Waddell, of Glasgow, Scotland, with whom he was soon united in marriage. The fruits of that union was 10 children, all of whom, with one exception, survive. In the spring of 1844, he arrived in Walworth county and soon after purchased the farm which C. Q. Fisk now owns, where he lived many years. Since his first arrival, he has always been a resident of the town of Delavan. Mrs. Dalton died in 1876, since which time he has been a lonely traveler on the downward pathway of life. He united in early life with the Methodist Episcopal church and remained a member to life's close. Of Mr. Dalton it can be truly said that he was an honest, upright man in all his dealings, a good neighbor, a fond husband, an indulgent parent, a friend to all, an enemy to none. None ever applied to him for assistance without receiving it, if, it was in his power to aid. Thus the pioneers of Walworth county drop away and the place which knew them shall know them no more forever."


Children of ELLEN WADDELL and JOHN DALTON are:


i.  JOHN HENRY DALTON, b. October 1827, Ogdenburg, St. Lawrence County, New York; d. 1908, Leland Township, Leelanau County, Michigan; m. AMANDAR. DEXTER, September 1853, N. Manitou Island, Leelanau County, Michigan; b. 1835, Vermont; d. 1896, Leland Township, Leelanau County, MI.


ii.  MARGARET DALTON, b. 1828, St. Lawrence County, New York; m. SMITH BRADLEY; b. 1815.


iii.  ELIZABETH CLARK DALTON, b. March 08, 1832, Ogdenberg, Saint Lawrence County , New York; d. February 15, 1905, Brookings, Brookings, South Dakota; m. AZARIAH SMITH WEST, September 07, 1848, Geneva, Walworth County, Wisconsisn; b. November 07, 1825, Minerva, Essex county, New York; d. October 1904, Brookings, Brookings, South Dakota.


iv.  GEORGE WADDELL DALTON, b. June 12, 1835, Morristown, Saint Lawrence County, New York; d. January 10, 1907, Oshkosh, Wisconsin; m. HELEN CORDELIA JEWETT, September 23, 1868, Lake Geneva, Walworth County, Wisconsin; b. January


vi. WILLIAM DALTON, b. February 19, 1839, St. Lawrence County, New York; d. April 13, 1923, Halstead, Harvey County, Kansas; m. (1) JANE S. FREEMAN, November 17, 1867; b. Abt. 1840; d. Kansas; m. (2) SUSAN INEZ WILLIAMS, May 29, 1879, Newton, Kansas; b. June 23, 1861, Russell County, Alabama; d. 1946, Lakin Twp., Harvey County, Kansas.


vii.  HENRY JAMES DALTON, b. June 17, 1842, St. Lawrence County, New York; d. 1930, East Delavan, Walworth County, Wisconsin; m. CELIA E. YOST, June 03, 1866, East Develan, Walworth County, Wisconsin; b. July 11, 1843, New York; d. 1927, East Delevan, Walworth County, Wisconsin.


viii.  ELLEN JANE DALTON, b. 1844, New York; d. Prob. Seward, Nebraska; m. WILLIAM REDFORD, May 20, 1866, East Develan, Walworth County, Wisconsin; b. March 07, 1841, Lincolnshire, England; d. December 06, 1904.


ix.  NATHAN FORD DALTON, b. March 15, 1845, Delavan, Walworth County, Wisconsin; d. November 1924, Wauwatosa, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin; m. MARY R. TEST, March 27, 1873, Marion County, Indiana; b. March 27, 1849, Indiana; d. January 1925, Prob. Wauwatosa, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin


x.  WASHINGTON THEODORE DALTON, b. March 15, 1848, Delavan, Walworth County, Wisconsisn; d. October 02, 1922, Hugoton, Stevens County, Kansas; m. (1) MARY CATHERINE BONEWITZ, November 08, 1876, Great Bend, Barton, Kansas; b. Abt. 1856, Pennsylvania; d. Bef. 1920; m. (2) ELLEN UNKNOWN, Bef. 1920; b. Abt. 1854, Ohio.




John Henry Dalton was born October 1827 in Ogdenburg, St. Lawrence County, New York. His father John Dalton, Sr. is from England and his mother Ellen Waddell is from Scotland (as stated in the1880 census). In 1844, when he was 17 years old, John moved with his family from New York to Walworth County, Wisconsin. In 1848 he went to North Manitou Island, Michigan. He married Amanda Dexter there in 1853, and evidently returned for a while with her to Wisconsin, as their first child John Henry, Jr. was born there in 1855. The family was back on the island by 1857 when daughter Orilla Amanda was born.


"John Dalton, foreman for the Leland Iron Company, of Leland, Leelanaw County, Mich., was born in New York in 1827. The first seventeeen years of his life were spent on a farm. He then left home and went to Wisconsin, where he remained until 1848, being mostly engaged in running a threshing machine and in breaking land. In 1848 he went to the Manitou Islands, where he was employed in the wood business [for Pickard] and in charge of the dock. Came from North Manitou to Leland in 1866, and since the Iron Works were started has been yard foreman and in charge of the wood business of the Leland Iron Company. Has been several years justice of the peace and now holds that office. He was married in September 1853 to Amanda Dexter. They had eight children, of whom seven are living. Mrs. Dalton is a daughter of Moses H. Dexter, who settled on North Manitou in 1849. He is now living in Walworth County, Wisconsin at age of eighty-four."


John Dalton came to the island of North Manitou in 1848 and was employed as manager on one of Pickard's docks. A year later [1849] Moses H. Dexter settled his family on the island. Both John Dalton and Moses Dexter were among the earliest pioneers of Leelanau County.


North Manitou Island is nearly 8 miles long and a bit over 4 miles wide and features about 20 miles of Lake Michigan shoreline and was occupied on a seasonal basis by Native Americans and, after 1634, were touched upon by French traders. After steamships, both paddle boats and "propellers," began to appear on Lake Michigan, by 1834 forty-eight were plying the lakes. Manitou Island was a good place to obtain wood from early inhabitants, and by 1843 there were references to wood-cutters living on the island.


At the time of the 1850 census, on July 22, 1850 John Dalton,  age 23 of NY was also living on N. Manitou Island. He was living with seven single men in what appears to be a boarding house, identified as house 15. John Dalton was a teamster, and John Korval was listed as the head of household. John is living a few doors down from the family of his future wife, Amanda Dexter.


"Two of the island's first families were joined in 1853 when Amanda Dexter, daughter of Moses Dexter, married John Dalton. Amanda and John Dalton had eight children


In the 1850 census for District 33, town of Delavan, Walworth County, Wisconsin, John Dalton, Jr., age 23 of NY is shown as living with his father on August 29, 1850; a farmer.


In 1860, John Henry Dalton was living on North Manitou Island, then a part of an extinct county named Manitou. He didn't move, rather the county name changed. This county was in existence from 1860 to 1905 and comprised all the islands in the Upper Peninsula archipelago. In 1861, Manitou County was attached to Mackinac, and in 1865 the island was attached to Leelanau County, then back to Mackinac in 1869. In 1895, North and South Manitou and the Fox Islands were attached to Leelanau County for good.


By 1870, John "Dolton" 43 NY (born 1827) and his family had moved from North Manitou Island to the mainland, and he was living in Centerville Township, which then included the present Leland Township. He was working for the Leland Iron Furnace, and his personal property had increased to $1215. With him is his wife Aminta 33 NY (born 1837), Henry 15, Auretia 13, Emma 11, Edwin, Clarra 7, and Walter 1.


Expansion of the village was rapid at this point, though the presence of kilns made living somewhat unpleasant because of the clouds of smoke from the smoldering wood that hovered over the village at all times. The Iron Company was importing men to work for them, many of which were Bohemians, who later moved to the ridge east of Carp Lake and created a farming community which came to be known as the Bohemian Settlement.


In 1880, John Dalton's residence was given as the Village of Leland and he had become the foreman of the Leland Iron Company. It is to be presumed that he had been here ever since his move from the island. He says that his father is from England and his mother from Scotland. With him is his wife Amanda. She says her father is from Wales (he's actually from Vermont), and her mother is from Vermont.


The year 1884 saw the beginning of the end of the iron furnace. The business of making charcoal iron so far from the sources of iron ore became unprofitable. In that year the property, including an acreage of land, was sold to four local men who incorporated under the name of Leland Lumber Company and began to operate the saw mill. The furnace was demolished, and the bricks were used to build a county jail, now the home of the Leelanau Historical Museum.


In the 1900 census for Leland Township, John 73 NY was living with his son William 34 MI. His wife Amanda Dexter Dalton passed on in 1896. John died in 1908, twelve years after Amanda died. John Dalton shares a headstone with his wife Amandy Dalton in Beechwood Cemetery, Leland, Michigan. The stone is inscribed John Dalton 1827-1908 and Amandy Dalton 1835-1896. We will go with 1827 as the birth year of John Dalton.


Burial: Beechwood Cemetery, Leland, Leelanau County, Michigan




George W. Dalton enlisted November 27, 1861 to November 27, 1864 in the Union Army and served with Company A, 1st Cavalry of the Oregon Volunteers. The Company primarily soldiered out of Fort Walla Walla in the Southeast Washington Territory. This information is found on index cards compiled by a member of Oregon Genealogical Forum from records of payroll bonds kept by the State Adjutant General.


Company "A" moved from near Oregon City to Fort Dallas; thence to Fort Walla Walla, Washington Territory, June 24-July 12, 1862. Left Fort Walla Walla July 25, 1862, for Salmon Falls on Snake River Expedition against Snake Indians in Idaho August 19-October 11, 1862, and protecting emigrant roads till November. At Fort Dalles till April, 1863. Ordered to Fort Walla Walla April 20. Expedition against Snake Indians in Idaho May 4-October 26, 1863. Expedition from Fort Walla Walla to Snake River, Washington Territory, February 16-23, 1864, and to Southeastern Oregon April 30-October 6, 1864. Expedition from Fort Boles to Salmon Falls, Idaho Territory, and skirmishes August 27-October 5, 1864. At Fort Vancouver and other stations in Oregon and Idaho till muster out. Expedition from Camp Lyon, Idaho Territory, to Malheur River, Ore., and skirmish July 2-13, 1865. George Dalton mustered out November 27, 1864.


In 1880, George W. Dalton, age 45, is a farmer living in Lakin Twp., Harvey Co., Kansas.


The Daily Northwester (Oshkosh) Thursday, January 10, 1907

Death of George W. Dalton: Heart Disease Closes Life of Wright Street Resident at Age Seventy Years.


George W. Dalton of 108 Wright street died very suddenly this noon at his home, death resulting from an attack of heart disease, to which he was subject. He was about seventy years of age, and had retired from active pursuits. Surviving are the wife, Mrs. Helen Dalton, one daughter, Mrs. Ruth of Chicago, and two sons, Edgar B., residing in the west, and Maurice of this city. No arrangements have made for the funeral.


Burial: Riverside Cemetery, Oshkosh, Wisconsin




William DALTON, born 19 Feb 1839 in St. Lawrence County, New York , died 13 Apr 1923 in Halstead, Kansas. William Dalton enlisted in the Union Army, Company A, 10th Regiment Infantry, of the Wisconsin Volunteers on August 31, 1861 at Delevan, WI. He was taken prisoner at Chickamauga in September 1863. He was freed November 11, 1863, but was again taken prisoner of war at Richmond, Virginia in December 1863. At the end of the war he was freed and mustered out on November 3, 1864.


William was married to Jane Freeman November 17, 1867 in Wisconsin (History of Walworth County) and with her moved first to Missouri, then to Kansas in 1871. A few months after arrivng in Kansas, Jane died and William returned to Wisconsin. In 1876 he again came to Kansas and in 1879 married Susan Inez Williams.


William Dalton and Susan Inez Williams had a daughter named Bertha born to them in 1880, who died February 21, 1890 at Halstead, Kansas. They later adopted a daughter of William Dalton's sister, Donna Dalton Ingram, who had died and left 9 children. They also named her Bertha, and raised her as their own. There is some confusion over who Bertha's real mother was, but according to William Dalton's obituary she was the daughter of his sister Donna who married an Ingram.


William Dalton was a Kansas homesteader of 1871 and a civil war veteran. He was born in St. Lawrence County, New York, February 19, 1839 and died at Halstead, Kansas April 13, 1923. At the age of 3 years he moved with his parents to Delevan, Wisconsin where he grew to young manhood. At the beginning of the Civil War he enlisted in Company D, 10th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. He served under General Thomas through a number of important battles and after a long service in the field he was captured by the Southerners and was an inmate of the famous prisons at Libby, Florence and Andersonville, Georgia for nearly fifteen months when he was exchanged and reached home in broken health.


In 1900, William, age 61, is again farming in Lakin Twp., Harvey Co., Kansas. He says that he was born in February 1839 and has been married for 21 years. His wife, Inez, age 38, says she was born June 1861 and has been married for 21 years. Their stated place of birth and the birthplaces of their parents have not changed from the previous census. Inez says she is mother to one child who is no longer living. With them is their "adopted daughter", Bertha, age 13. Bertha was born Aug. 1886 in TX. She says her parents were both born in AL. Also living with them is JohnÉÉ.., a boarder, age 30.


In 1910, the William Dalton family dynamic has changed in Lakin Twp. Bertha B., the adopted daughter, age 23, is now married.


In 1920 the William Dalton family dynamic has again changed. They are still living in Lakin Twp., but this time William, age 80 is listed as the head. He is currently a dairy farmer and owns his own farm. His wife, Susie is now 58. With them is the family of their adopted daughter Bertha, now 30.


William Dalton's farm land is visible on the 1873 plat map from the Combination Atlas Map of Walworth Co., WI. His brother Henry's farm, a short distance away on this same map, was directly across the road from Union Cemetery where members of the Dalton family, including their parents, John and Ellen, are buried. The site of William Dalton's farm in Wisconsin is currently called Fantasy Hills Ranch, Ltd.



In the 1870 census for Develan, Walworth County, Wisconsin, Ellen 25 WI and daughter Lillie 2 WI are living with her husband William Redford 27 England.


William Redford married Ellen Dalton, sister to William Dalton, on May 20, 1866 in East Delavan, WI.




Henry James Dalton was born on June 17, 1842, in Ogdensburg, St. Lawrence County, New York, the son of John Dalton and Ellen Waddell. The History of Walworth County, Wisconsin says that he was one of the best known and most highly honored pioneers of this locality, who, after a long, active, influential and useful life here, spent principally in agricultural pursuits, retired in the city of Delevan.


Henry J. Dalton, grew to maturity on the home farm where he assisted with the general work during crop seasons, and he tended the district schools during the winter months. On June 3, 1866, he married Celia Yost, daughter of John and Ester (Hollister) Yost, natives of the state of New York. The Yosts migrated to Wisconsin in 1844. John Yost died July 3,1890 and Ester Hollister Yost died January 16,1908. Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Dalton, namely: Maud Frances Dalton, who married and moved to Beloit, Wisconsin; Ervin Dalton, who farmed at East Delevan; Dr. Charles Dalton of Albion, Wisconsin and Harold Dalton who was a lawyer and lived at Bowden, North Dakota.


Mr. Dalton was a veteran of the Civil War. Having been in the West when the war broke out, he enlisted at Jacksonville, Oregon in Company A, First Oregon Cavalry on November 27, 1861. The Regiment was organized at large in Oregon February to April, 1862. Regiment concentrated in Williamette Valley and ordered May 1862 to Walla Walla Country and the Mining Districts of Nez Perce and Salmon River Countries to protect emigrants and miners. Headquarters at Fort Walla Walla, Washington Territory.


Company "A" moved from near Oregon City to Fort Dallas; thence to Fort Walla Walla, Washington Territory, June 24-July 12, 1862. Left Fort Walla Walla July 25, 1862, for Salmon Falls on Snake River Expedition against Snake Indians in Idaho August 19-October 11, 1862, and protecting emigrant roads till November. At Fort Dalles till April, 1863. Ordered to Fort Walla Walla April 20. Expedition against Snake Indians in Idaho May 4-October 26, 1863. Expedition from Fort Walla Walla to Snake River, Washington Territory, February 16-23, 1864, and to Southeastern Oregon April 30-October 6, 1864. Expedition from Fort Boles to Salmon Falls, Idaho Territory, and skirmishes August 27-October 5, 1864. At Fort Vancouver and other stations in Oregon and Idaho till muster out. Expedition from Camp Lyon, Idaho Territory, to Malheur River, Ore., and skirmish July 2-13, 1865.


Henry served three years in the west against the hostile Indians of the Pacific coast, being discharged on November 27, 1864, at Fort Vancouver, Washington, with the rank of corporal under Capt. William Rinehart, being then nineteen years of age. After his discharge he went to Walla Walla, Washington, where he had charge of a pack train, freighting to the mines for one year. Then he returned to East Delevan, Wisconsin and was married soon after. About this time he purchased a 110 acre farm in Section 35, Delevan township which he later sold to his son Erwin.


The following excerpt is from the Beloit Daily News, March 24, 1923 and was sent to Norman A. Delap by Harold W. Dalton:



H. J. Dalton is sole Survivor of Walworth County Men Who Answered Gold Lure.


DELAVAN, March 24.- Memories connected with an oxen trek in covered emigrant wagons overland to California 64 years ago was refreshed today in an interview with Henry J. Dalton, 118 Ninth Street, the last survivor of a party of 16 Walworth County young men who started from East Delavan on April 11, 1859. The lure of California gold and the urge of Horace Greeley to go west and grow up with the country was the motive which gave these young men the encourage to attempt the perilous journey, Mr. Dalton declared. They left here boasting to their friends that it was a case of "Pike's Peak or Bust." The determination to push on to the Pacific coast was reached when their number grew through the addition of other travelers as they progressed westward.





Those comprising the party from this community were: Henry and George Dalton [sons of John Dalton and Elizabeth Waddel), Milan; Nelson and Lyman Brigham; Zinah Cotton; Amos Johns and Adam Scrafford, all of East Delavan; James Jones, Jefferson Prairie; William and James Dunbar of Elkhorn; Anthony Delap, Cyrus and Lige Marble, and Robert Campbell [married to Mary Jane Delap] of Geneva; and Isaac Brown, of Delavan.


Henry and George Dalton (Henry was at that time a youth of 17 years) drove two teams of oxen hitched to a heavy covered wagon. The Daltons paired off with Adam Scrafford and James Jones, who also had a double team of oxen. Henry Dalton and Scrafford took turns in cooking the meals which were prepared and eaten along the roadside. From the time they left East Delavan until their arrival in Yreka, Cisco County, California, six months later, they spent their days and nights out of doors.


Jones and Scrafford included two cows in their outfit so that party was able to enjoy something better than the ordinary fare before the animals played out and had to be sacrificed later on in the journey.



The Walworth County adventurers headed for Dubuque, where they were ferried across the Mississippi, landing at Council Bluffs. Here they struck out for Omaha, at that time a settlement of only a few buildings and the outpost of the western wilderness. Leaving Omaha the party was strictly on its own resources although its number had been augmented by the addition of many emigrants at Council Bluffs and other cities through which they passed. It was slow traveling, the oxen making about ten miles in a good day. Following a route north of the Platte River, they made their way to Fort Laramie, harassed at time by marauding Pawnee Indians through the Nebraska prairies. Dalton and others swam the river at Laramie one night to hear Horace Greeley speak. The picturesque editor, limping as the result of being thrown from his mule, was preaching is "Go West!" doctrine and succeeded in sending the youngsters back to their camp on the other side of the fiver full of new enthusiasm for their project. They followed the old California route after leaving Laramie, taking what was known as the "sublet cutoff" [Sublette] just before reaching Salt Lake City. In this manner they saved themselves a trip through the great American desert.



While following their new trail, they came upon the scene of the Shepherd massacre, near the Humboldt River only three days after the Sioux had killed all but one member of the party. Partly burned wagons, slaughtered animals and other signs of carnage were all about the site. An emigrant train just in advance of theirs had rescued the sole survivor, Mrs. Shepherd, and had buried the dead. The Shepherds were Missouri people returning from California where they had acquired wealth. The Sioux, led by unscrupulous white outlaws, learned of their treasure and massacred them. Mrs. Shepherd was left for dead by the marauding party. The Sioux stampeded the herd of the party to which the Walworth County youths had attached themselves one night as they were corralled near the Raft River. Fortunately, Captain William Home of Shyullsberg, who was acting as leader of the caravan (having made the trip before) heard the stampede, mounted his horse and circled the herd, driving it back to camp. He was shot at by some of the Indians as he performed his perilous task.



Two members of the party were shot and killed as they stood guard over the camp at night. Their bodies are buried somewhere along the trail, Dalton declares, as were those of many other pioneers who lost their lives in the California rush. When the party disbanded at Yreka, the Daltons and their friends, Scrafford and Jones, had a single yoke of oxen and the rear half of a wagon left of the four yokes, two milk cows and two wagons with which they left Delavan. They were penniless and hungry. Dalton and his partner finally obtained a job clearing wood for a Frenchman. Later on, Dalton earned 12 cents a day as a mason in Yreka, where a large brewery was being built. This was unprecedented wages for a lad of eighteen at that time.



The life of a cowboy appealed to the new comer and in March 1860, Dalton became a range rider in Ashland, Jackson County, Oregon where he remained for a year. He then decided to embark in the raising of milch cattle and had a good start when the Civil War put a stop to this project. In the company with his brother, George and other young men of the vicinity, Dalton enlisted on November 27, 1861, in company A, First Oregon Cavalry. They were on their way south when an Indian outbreak caused them to be detailed to range duty where they soldiered until November 1864 when they mustered out.



These enthusiastic westerners purchased horses, saddles and rifles before volunteering and Dalton rode his horse, a particularly fine animal, during his entire term of service. They found the Redskin, aided and abetted by the Mormons, a tricky foe. Casualties were particularly heavy. At one time a party of 80 men sent to break up a band of the Sioux returned to the fort with 37 survivors. The Delavan man returned to his old home in 1866 and took a farm near East Delavan, where he lived for many years. This farm is still owned by him and is now worked by a son. Mr. Dalton, although 82 years old, is active and makes daily trips to the business section of the city. He is a member and twice served as commander of the George H. Thomas Post 8, G.A.R of this city.


Henry was a witness to a wedding in 1869: In Delevan, Walworth Co, WI, Feb 3, 1869, Mr. Joseph T. Brown, farmer, of Walworth, aged 25, and Mrs. Sarah Ann Yost of Delevan, aged 23, in presence of George W. Dalton and Henry Dalton, attesting witnesses.





From The Janesville Gazette, April 17, 1930


Death of Henry J. Dalton, 89, Reduces G.A.R. Post to Four

Delavan--Leaving but four old comrades remaining in Delavan and immediate vicinity, Henry J. Dalton, 89, veteran of the Civil War, died in his home on Ninth street here early Thursday following an illness of three weeks due to the infirmities of old age. Mr. Dalton was a native of Ogdensburg, N.Y., where he was born June 17, 1841. At the age of two years, he moved to Wisconsin with his parents who settled on a farm in East Delavan. In 1859, he went west, travelling from East Delavan to California with an ox team, and remaining in the west until the Civil War broke out. He enlisted in Company A. First Oregon Cavalry, and served until peace was declared, when he was mustered out at Ashland, Ore., and returned to Wisconsin in 1865. On June 3, 1866, he married Miss Celia Yost of East Delavan. The couple remained at East Delavan until 20 years ago, when they moved to this city and have resided here since. Mr. Dalton is survived by three children: Mrs. L. A. Francis, Beloit; E. H. Dalton, East Delavan; and H. W. Dalton, Delavan. Five grandchildren and four great-grandchildren also survive. Funeral services will be held in the Dalton home at 2 p.m. Saturday, the Rev. Henry Wise, Edgerton, to officiate. Burial will be in East Delavan. The four remaining Civil War veterans are: David Phelps, Delavan Lake, S. L. Jackson, Timothy Shanahan and Capt. A.E. Smith all of Delavan. Capt. Smith is past 90 years old, and the others are past 80.


Military service: Bet. 1861 - 1865, First Oregon Cavalry, Union Army



NATHAN FORD DALTON, son of JOHN HENRY and grandson of WILLIAM Dalton, was born in 1845 in Delavan, Walworth Co., Wisconsin, and died November 1924 in Wauwatosa, Milwaukee Co., Wisconsin. He married MARY R. TEST March 27, 1873 in Marion Co., Indiana. She was born March 27, 1849 in Indiana, and died January 1925.



"Nathan F. Dalton, the son of John Dalton and Ellen Waddell was born in Walworth County, Wisconsin March 15, 1845. At the age of 19 he left home and accepted a position as clerk in the commission business in Chicago, where at a later period, he engaged in the lumber business. In 1877, he moved to Vincennes, Indiana and followed the same occupation with T.U. Lamport as partner. He married Mary R. Test, the daughter of the Honorable C. H. Test of Indianapolis. Their children were Charles T. Dalton, Elizabeth H. Dalton, and Natalie F. Dalton. He was the first president of the Vincennes Board of Trade and a president and stockholder with Spring Lake Ice Company and the president of the Indiana Lumber Dealers' Association."


The following obituary is from The Indianapolis Star, November 29, 1924:



Nathan Ford Dalton, formerly of Indianapolis, died Tuesday at Wauwatosa, Wis., and was buried from the home of his daughter, Mrs. Norman Peck, according to word reaching relatives in Indianpolis. Mr. Dalton was 76 years old. He had been engaged in the lumber business in Indianapolis until twelve years ago, when he retired. Before coming to Indianpolis he was in the lumber business in Vincennes, Ind. In Indianpolis he maintained his yard at South Noble and Washington streets.


He had been president of the Retail Lumberman's Association of Indiana and a member of the finances committee of the Capital National bank of Indianapolis. He was a charter member of the city's first country club and a member of the Columbia Club. Mr. Dalton was an active member of the Christ Church, having served as a vestryman and on the committee for the diocese of the state of Indiana and a thirty-second degree mason.


He is survived by the widow, Mrs. Mary Test Dalton, and two daughters and one son, Mrs. Norman Peck and Mrs. Frank Kimball of Milwaukee, and Test Dalton of Indianpolis; a brother, Harry Dalton of Delavan, Wis., and a sister, Mrs. Nellie Redford of Seward, Neb.


Burial: Wauwatosa Cemetery, Milwaukee Co., Wisconsin



WASHINGTON THEODORE DALTON, son of JOHN HENRY DALTON, was born 1848 in Delavan, Walworth Co., Wisconsin, and died October 2, 1922 in Hugoton, Stevens Co., Kansas. He married MARY CATHARINE BONEWITZ November 08, 1876 in Great Bend, Barton, Kansas. She was born Abt. 1856.


In 1880, Washington Dalton, age 31, is a farmer living in Pleasant Valley, Pawnee, Kansas. He was born in WI, his father in ENG and his mother in SCOTLAND. With him is his wife, Mary, age 24. Mary and both of her parents were born in PA. Also with them are their two children: Alice 2; and George 1. Both children were born in KS.


In 1920, Washington Dalton, age 71, is in Center Twp., Stevens Co., Kansas. He's a general farmer who owns his own mortgaged farm. Again, he is born in WI, his father in England and his mother in Scotland. In this census he's married to a woman named Ellen, age 66.